RAID Question....

Discussion in 'Computers' started by MichaelZ, Aug 8, 2003.

1. MichaelZ

MichaelZ Extra

for anyone here who knows a lot about Raid setups.

I would like to set up a raid 0 system on my compuer. my motherboard is already setup for it (Asus P4C800). my problem is that I understand it that if I want to have raid 0 I have to have 2 blank drives to set it up. Is there anyway i could set it up with 1 blank and 1 non-blank. I dont want to have to format my current harddrive and start from scratch if at all possible.

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

That depends entirely on how your motherboard has it set up. If the motherboard uses RAID 0 as concaenation, you shouldn't have to start from a clean slate as concatenation goes to the nxt disk when the first one fills up. If they're using striping it is possible that you might need to start cleanly; however, to be blunt that doesn't say much for Asus as that's a really arrogant position to take, especailly since we're talking about hardware RAID that's totally independent of any operating system.

3. MichaelZ

MichaelZ Extra

I wanna use it for stripping, but after reading the motherboard manual it says I gotta do it from 2 blank drives.

ugh, I really dont wanna format my harddrive and start from scratch. looks like I'll scratch the raid idea.