What's new

RAID + IDE + slave/master huh? (1 Viewer)

A

Anthony_Gomez

I know there is another thread on RAID right now, but I didn't want to crash it since I am looking at something different.

I am a newbie to RAID, but I have done "some" reading up.

I want to put together a system using 2x WD80GB drives in RAID-1 for mirroring only, and also have a CDRW on normal IDE.

I plan on using the ASUS A7V8X motherboard

The motherboard has 2 IDE sockets for ATA100, and 1 socket for RAID.

Do I do a master/slave (with jumpers) with the 2 drives and hook it up to the RAID port and leave the CDRW as master on IDE-0 ...or what? I would think that I would want them both as Masters running independently, but there is one raid port and 2 normal IDE.

lets suppose I wanted 3 RAID-1 drives,....how do I then do that since the IDE cable only has 1 branch...and the MB only has one RAID socket?....the board supports 3 RAID-1 drives.

thanks for any help!!!

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Is there a specific reason you want to do RAID 1? It will be slower than a single or multiple single drives.

With IDE RAID, you cannot hook up more than 2 drives to one channel as master and slave. This means that your RAID 1 will be even slower, since both drives use the same bus for throughput.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Well, if you don't object to losing half your HD capacity, I'd suggest you get a RAID card with at least 2 channels and don't put more than one drive per channel. Your mobo's one channel RAID solution is no solution.

A

Anthony_Gomez

thanks for the advice...are there any inexpensive cards that you can think of?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
RocketRAID133 is under $30. As with most RAID cards, installation is may be tricky, especially if you try to install the OS on the RAID.

You should probably get another smaller drive as your boot partition. It is not recommended to boot up on a RAID partition. Boot up with a smaller single IDE drive to hold OS and programs, and use the RAID area for critical data files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks