RAID 0 with different HD brands?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Patrick Sun, Dec 20, 2003.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Is it a bad idea to create a RAID 0 array with different hard drive brands?

I want to make a 2x160GB RAID 0 array, and I have just picked up a Western Digital model this week that had a rebate, and because of rebate uncertainties (submitting 2 rebates with same name, etc), I can get another 160GB hard drive, either a Maxtor or a Seagate at a low price after rebates, to use for RAID 0. Will this be a problem if the disk space for each hard drive is slightly dfferent from each other? (I realize using 2 of the same hard drive model is the most ideal case).

2. Roy C.

Roy C. Second Unit

I wouldn't think there would be a problem. I'd recommend starting with the smallest of the two drives and having the larger one conform to it. In other words if you start with the largest one you will not be able to do it unless you know the exact number of MBs or GBs of the other... I think you get what I'm trying to say... [​IMG]

Good luck,
    Roy C.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Yes, I would make sure to go with the HD with the smaller of sectors/disk space to "conform". Heh.

4. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

If both brands claim to have 160GB then any actual discrepancy shouldn't be noticeable.

Now if you were trying it with a 40GB and a 60GB, then all of the 40 and only 40 from the 60 would be used and you'd have 2x40. Depending on the controller, the left over 20GB could be unusable even for a regular non-RAID partition.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

My reading comprehension skills suck during the holidays. I had thought my new motherboard provided onboard IDE PATA RAID 0/1. Nope, it only offers SATA RAID, so I have to find SATA/PATA adapters for the ATA hard drives I just picked up. Currently I'm using XP's software RAID 0 (striped) functionality to get by, but I think I will need to order some adapters ASAP. Grr...

6. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

A friend got burned a bit by built-in MB RAID... his motherboard burned and he couldn't get his disks mounted anywhere. The MB was long out of production so he couldn't just replace it either.

RAID has its pitfalls but it's better than the alternative. [​IMG]

7. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

For built-in RAID you have to go with chips by well-known companies that offer a compatible standalone controller card if you expect recovery to be possible.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I am thinking of just getting a conventional IDE RAID controller card as well. That would probably give me a little flexibility in times of disaster.