What's new

Raging Bull SE vs. 1-disc releases 2/8 (1 Viewer)

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I see there are two releases of Raging Bull coming this Tuesday, February 8th... just wondering if anyone's got any definative evidence on the quality of the transfer (or if it's the same) between the two sets. Thanks!

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen it yet, but I suspect that the 1st disc of the SE is the same as the single-disc version, which means that the transfers should be the same. Hopefully, there's someone out there who can provide a more definitive answer.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I would hope they are the same -- in these types of cases, they usually are. I'm still not sure which version I want -- I'm not big on extras, but in this particular case and story, I'm thinking about the SE.

EricW

Senior HTF Member

does it actually say that? i think the page is comparing A) the new 2disc vs. B) the old 1disc vs. C) a PAL release... unless i'm missing something.

anyways, it doesn't make business sense for MGM to pay for 2 different compressions of the same movie. less profit.

Yeah, DVD Beaver is comparing the new SE to the OLD MGM version of Raging Bull (which, I believe, is out of print) to the UK PAL version.
I would assume the new single disc version is the exact same transfer, just just minus the second disc of extras.
Kind of interesting that the new SE edition has a slight cropped framing of 1.81:1, vs the OAR of 1.85:1. Anyone have any insight on why this would be?
All I know is am will definitely be buying this when it comes out next Tues. I've been holding off on replacing my VHS copy for quite a while, knowing that an SE would be coming around at some point to replace the old DVD.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
That's what I assumed but I hadn't heard either way so I thought I would get some reference. Thanks for the imput, it's made my blind-buy decision a whole lot easier!

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
No commentary on the single disc.... Less bitspace alotted for video on the SE version than the one disc maybe..?

Frank@N

Screenwriter
My SE copy mistakenly came with two 'disc-one'.

Oddly, the disc art was very faded on the second 'disc-one'.

Exchanged for another set, there is now a 'disc-two'.

But the disc art on two is still kinda faded. Oh, well...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks