Raging Bull (MGM Contemporary Classics) $14.39 @ Overstock.com

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Jan::C, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Jan::C

Jan::C Auditioning

Hi. Newbie/lurker here [​IMG] What a great forum. Tons of info and a lot of friendly, helpful people it seems. Congrats and thanks to you Ron.

About Raging Bull.. A couple of my friends were looking for this disc and it's difficult to find at this price. Just thought I'd mention it here in case someone might be interested.

overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=643717

$12.99 + $1.40 shipping.

I'm not aware of a re-release in the works. Anyone have news about it?

Jan

2. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I am very tempted to order this as I have patiently waited for a SE. It was rumored a couple of years ago, but I have heard nothing since that time. Thanks for posting. This DVD is out of print and virtually not in stock anywhere.

3. Terry H

Terry H Second Unit

Remember, this is not anamorphic. If you don't have a widescreen it may not matter to you but it does to me.

4. Dave H

Dave H Producer

True --- of course, having a DVD player that has a good scaler helps a lot if you have a widescreen set for non-anamorphic material.

5. Bob Movies

Bob Movies Stunt Coordinator

Keep in mind, this Raging Bull transfer is mis-framed.

There is a pan and scan copy on the disc, and a "Widescreen" copy on the flip side. The "Widescreen" is actually the P+S copy with black matte bars on the top and bottom.

This isn't a case of a film being shot open matte, the transfer is visibly zoomed. In the end, you miss Martin Scorsese's cameo completely because of the zoom. I've seen this in the theatre, and I also own the criterion laserdisc, where there's a noticable difference between transfers.

There's been talk of a Special Edition for a while... don't know when it will be released, but be warned before buying this title.