Rage/Cornell broken up!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StevenW, Mar 25, 2002.

1. StevenW

StevenW Second Unit

2. Bill Leber

Bill Leber Stunt Coordinator

Hopefully the CD will still be released.

3. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

4. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Dammit! This sucks. At least we'll get the chance to hear what the album sounds like. I was really looking forward to seeing them live this summer though. I wonder what happened?

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Buzz, no one wants that more than me (well, apparently us [​IMG] ) but I don't think this is happening. Ben Shephard was really disenchanted with the whole thing at the end (some sources said really pissed off and resentful) and I haven't heard if he's coming around. Also, isn't Matt pretty much Pearl Jam's drummer now? Even though he's still "interim" he's been touring with them for the past few years.
    Soundgarden is still one of my biggest influences (Badmotorfinger brought back the "heaviness" that had been missing since Led Zeppelin for me in music) and I would give anything to see them live again.
    Heaviness isn't a sound, or a distortion, it's an attitude. And Soundgarden had it right.
    Now I know why you've been shaking
    Now I know why you've been shaking
    So bleed your heart out
    There's no more rides for free...

6. Mick Wright

Mick Wright Second Unit

Anyone know what Kim Thayil is up to? I'd be happy if just he and Chris made music together again.

7. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

i'm kind of dissapointed on how RATM albums have progressed. When i first listened to their first album, their music hit a part of me that i never knew existed. I absolutely love ALL the songs in that album. The second album was good but not as explosive as the first. I liked more or less half of the songs their with "Down Rodeo" being my favorite. Now the third offering was just ininspired and dull. Not one song stuck out to me. The renegades album was good but nowhere close to the first album.

Now that they've broken up, they'll never recreate the explosiveness and innovativeness of the first album. Quite a disappointment.

8. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Soundgarden?
    I have a sound garden in my living room. [​IMG]
    Lee

9. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

You know Salvador, I have that same impression. Sometimes, bands seem to exist only for their first album or two. They give something that is inspired and unique. Then, they have little left to contribute. I get that same feel from RATM. Their first album will always be a high point in the last decade, and their followup still had some spark. But the well seems to have run dry.

They have their place in my heart, but I can't imagine how they would ever top their first album, regardless of the lead singer.

10. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

Alex, you know another band that has an even worse album progression? Live.....

After Throwing Copper my God how they have changed. Ok, Secret Samadhi was good, but not as memorable as Throwing Copper. Distance to Hear was so so but "Stood Up for Love" is a damn fine song. Too bad the other songs in the album had much to be desired. And then this V crap that they've recently put out. Listening to the songs in that album was just truly horrible. WTF happened to Live??? I know bands want to experiment and stuff but V is just a load of CRAP. It's no wonder you don't hear or see them on TV nowadays.

Come to think of it, maybe this is the reason my musical tastes are getting funkier (or more diverse?) each year. I've turned to international artists lately for my musical satisfaction. Take for example the Japanese band Pizzicato Five. Just listen to their single "Sweet Soul Revue" and judge for yourself. Actually i think i better start a new thread on this.

11. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Yep, although Throwing Copper wasn't their first album, it was truly the pinnacle for them in my eyes.

I'm desperately hoping that Garbage's latest release was a mistake and not a sign of a trend. Their debut and 2.0 were remarkable, but this one is like some twisted joke.

Back to topic, I would love to hear a strong Soundgarden release. But I have to wonder if they haven't been corrupted by the musical climate these days. For some reason, I could just hear them taking a cue from Creed, even unconciously (*shudder*).

12. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Alex,
    You are correct about Garbage. Their new album was one of my most anticipated albums in a long time and was majorly disappointed.
    As far as Rage goes, I liked their 3rd album more than their 2nd, but neither one can even touch ther debut. Calm Like a Bomb and Born as Ghosts are just jammin' man. [​IMG]
    -Dean-
    NP: The Last Tour on Earth - Marilyn Manson

13. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

To add to the voices of disgruntled Live fans, I recently saw them open for Jane's Addiction. They sounded weak and looked stupid. I'm not a Live fan (I like Throwing Copper, but was not impressed with anything else I heard), but a lot of people in the audience weren't taking to Live.

For a band to release one solid album is rare. To release more than one is a miracle. Most rock musicians just don't have the talent and creativity to do more than one thing.

NP: Miles Davis, Jazz At the Plaza, CD

14. Patrick Cate

Patrick Cate Stunt Coordinator

Salvador, Pizzicato Five is a Japanese band.

15. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

thanks for telling me. I always thought they were singing in korean.

16. Scott Pagac

Scott Pagac Stunt Coordinator

I know this may be off topic, but...

From what I have read, RATM's original singer quit because he knew what the next song would sound like before ever even hearing it. For that kind of musical limitation, I put the blame on the musicians for not being creative enough to come up with new material.

On the flip side, how much of a band's sonic downfall is the fault of the band as whole vs. what the record label wants them to sound like. Even if the band wants to move on to something new, the label will push for the last big thing, causing the sound to remain stagnant, preventing the fans from hearing the fresh new sound that had drawn them to the band to begin with.

The music industry can be a double-edged sword, and we can see cases of both sides in many of the bands we enjoy. As a music fan (and a fellow musician), I can say niether side is worse. Some just have a better time weathering out the storm than others. For those given the chance, eventually, things work themselves out for the best.

17. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

I agree with Dean DeMass in that their last album was good, better than the second, but still not as good as the first. As a true Rage fan I was most disappointed by their breakup, yet saw it coming and have come to accept it.

I kind of like Chris Cornell, but I would have never accepted him as a "replacement" to Zach. Rage ceased being Rage when Zach left.