RAF/Outlaw 755

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Mollura, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Joe Mollura

Joe Mollura Stunt Coordinator

RAF,
    I remember reading a post in which you stated that you were to receive a Outlaw 755 early this week. I have narrowed my amp search down to just a select few and would love to hear your thoughts on the 755 (especially with the 950, since thats what I plan to use as a preamp). Please let us know what you think when you get a chance to. 200 watts a channel for $1299 almost seems to good to be true![​IMG]

2. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Joe,
    The heavy (83 pounds!) box arrived today and I hope to have it hooked up by sometime tomorrow (I have previous commitments tonight). I thought that my Denon 5700 was a beast at a little under 50 pounds, but this 755 is a back breaker! The 770 is supposedly even heavier. The mind boggles. The 755 looks extremely impressive in terms of build quality. I popped the hood and it looks exactly like the pictures over on the Outlaw site here. Although I don't have a 770 in front of me, from the comparison of the pictures of the two units I wouldn't be surprised if the 755 is the same as the 770, with two fewer channels.
    Also, the binding posts on the back and the RCA input jacks are very heavy duty. All in all one hefty piece of equipment. If the performance is as serious as the build quality then this will be one kick-a unit.
    I'm planning to run a series of listening tests comparing the 755 to my Marantz MA700 monoblocks, as well as comparing the sound of the 755 to the 175W/channel amps of the Denon 5700 (which will be leaving shortly). I really don't expect the 5700 receiver's amps to compete well, but I'm curious. There's also the question of what I'm going to do with the 8 channels of amplification I now have available. One option would be to keep the MA700s in front for the L/C/R channels as they are now, and use the 755 for the 4 surround channels. Another option would be to use all five channels of the 755 for the L/C/R front and the L/R Side Surrounds, with two of the MA700's feeding the L/R rear surrounds. The third MA700 would become a spare (waiting for 8.1? [​IMG] )
    The nice thing is that with all of the amps able to receive banana plugs trying out all these possibilities will not be too complicated. I just have to make sure that I don't have so much power plugged into my outlets that the electric meter screws itself into the ground!
    [​IMG]
    Stay tuned....

3. Joe Mollura

RAF
    "What am I going to do with 8 channels of amplification I now have available"
    I wish I had a problem like this in my HT[​IMG] Looking forward for your review........

4. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

Can't wait to see how the outlaw compares to what you have.

Looking forward to your review!

R~

5. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Robert,

I have been waiting for the release of the 770 along with the 950 like everyone else. I'll bet you're right about the 755 being a 770 without the extra 2 channels. Don't you still have the 950? And if you do, are you intending to use it to test the 755's sound? I would love to hear a review of both units with all 5 channels hooked up to the five speakers. I also find it interesting that the 755 weighs in at 83 lbs and the 770 is supposed to be 90 lbs. That's only 7 lbs difference for the 2 additional channels. That doesn't sound like much, but hopefully all the poundage is in the power supply where it counts. I'm looking forward to your impressions of the 755.

Thanks,

Russ

6. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

"The third MA700 would become a spare (waiting for 8.1?)"
    Or maybe for an SVS CS subwoofer. I hear that you can never have too much bass! [​IMG]
    Michael

7. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Well Michael, if I knew then what I know now things might have been different, but I already have two powered subs - an M&K MX350 and an SVS 16-46PCi. And my M&K main speakers don't lend themselves to bi-amping but I'm sure that 8.1, 9.1, 10.1, etc. is around that never ending corner. Besides, it doesn't hurt to have an amp in reserve.
    [​IMG]

8. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

Joe,

just an FYI that Onecall has ATI 1505's on closeout for $1099. ATI is working on a new model hence the reason for the 1505's being closed out. They also offer 12 months, no interest.

I was going to get the 755 but decided to go ahead and get the ATI. (The 200 vs 150 watt's isn't a big deal as it takes double the power to hear a 3db increase).

This will also let me use the amp with my 3802 as a pre/pro before the 950 arrives. I can't wait to compare the 3802 as a pre/pro to the 950.

9. Joe Mollura

Brian,
    Thanks, I saw that price on onecall but I figured I should here what RAF had to say about the Outlaw. Ati will not be releasing another 5 channel amp for 6-8 months (so I heard), they are planning a 180X5 when they do. Please let me know what you think of the ATI, especially in 2 channel. Does anyone know when the 755 will be available? According to Outtlaw they were going to start taking orders early last week?????