1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Radiotechnika speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Steven Brent, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Steven Brent

Steven Brent Extra

I'm getting my first HT system, and I'm putting it together myself. I live in Kazakstan, so the choices are somewhat limited.

I have, however, found an interesting local brand of speakers made in Latvia called Radiotechnika. I'm thinking of buying their X-Line, which is intended for export (L, R, C, subwoofer) for 690 USD.

There are JBL, Infinity, Jamo, Marantz, and Yamaha brands available here. But I'm thinking seriously of going with Radiotechnika because I think I can get much better quality for the same price. I haven't auditioned them yet, so I can say how they sound.

Does anyone have experience with this company?

Thanks
    Steve

2. Steven Brent

Steven Brent Extra

Bump

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I've never heard them but I'll tell you what little it is that I know of Radiotechnika and make some suggestions on avenues that you can pursue which maybe will have some factor in your final decision.

RT is an audio company that existed in the former Soviet Union. The equipment that they produced (S90 speakers, tube equipment) was well regarded and priced accordingly. One must temper that thought with the knowledge that even hi tech Soviet equipment suffered immensely in the areas of quality control, sophisitcation, and reliability. Submarines come to mind here.
    After the fall of the Soviet Union, the company was denationalized and continued operation in Latvia. They have something to do with a firm in Finland where either jointly or something like that a brand by the name of Brendle is made. You'll find some talk of them on the finnish and german forums but I don't know if there've been reviewed in any particular magazines or websites.
    You might want to dig a bit deeper to find out who makes their drivers and if they've got any sort of testing facilities. In general, I'm personally sceptical of many products from the former soviet bloc and strictly as hearsay some have made mention of the RT line in the same way as the White Van speakers. There may be something to this if the drivers themselves don't have any sort of a pedigree.
    I don't know what sort of access you've got to other brands in Kazakstan apart from what you mentioned, but perhaps they bear more consideration.

4. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

Chu Gai says: "Submarines come to mind here"

That is just TOOOOO FUNNY!