"RadioShack uses e-mail to fire employees"

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by LanceJ, Aug 31, 2006.

1. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Read article here.

It may be efficient, but it's damn cold. [​IMG]

In years past (the late 70s and 80s) RS was a fun destination for this electronics and audio gear geek, but now its basically just a downsized Best Buy with all that name brand gear & cell phone counter, so I almost never go there anymore. The last time I bought anything there was two years ago to grab five 5" fullrange speakers and a couple cheapie 8" woofers - they were getting rid of all their raw drivers [​IMG] & all these only cost a $1 apiece (the first two pairs of speakers I ever built used RS drivers).

2. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

I thought being bitched out and fired over the phone was cold, but that takes the cake!

What would Radio Shack have done if spam filters had caught their mail and bounced it back to them? What about those employees who don't have e mail?

3. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

I wonder about the legality of this process. I was under the assumption e-mail was not a legally binding form of communication. An employee could probably get a few more days of pay by continuing to show up at work. (insert Office Space humor).

Regardless, this is about as cold as you can get..... While I don't patronize RS much, it now slips even further off my consideration.

4. Orlando

Orlando Stunt Coordinator

Pretty sad, but the way some people found out they were let go from where I work recently was worse. They came to work as they always do flashed the ID on the card reader if it didn't work you were fired.

5. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

I'm sure one of the reasons this crap was thought up was so that the managers could avoid the task of having to tell people face to face.

If you ever have had to do it, you know how unpleasant it is to terminate someone's employment, but to not have the personal fortitude and common decency to do it face to face is very telling of the management team at Radio Shack.

It appears that the management team wants all of the positives aspects that go with being in management and wants to avoid the unpleasant ones. They are really nothing more then weak pretend managers in my opinion. I certainly would look down upon anyone associated with this tactic if they every came to my company looking for employment.

6. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

With all of the e-mail scams out there I wouldn’t believe such a notice if I received one.

Most of us regularly receive fake notices on official looking letterhead telling us that our Pay-Pal, Chase Bank, MasterCard or Visa account information needs to be updated, even if we don’t have such an account. How long will it be before we receive fake e-mail on official looking letterhead telling us we’re fired (whether we work there or not)?

Getting an e-mail firing me would still result in a communication in person with my boss (if I had a boss), and if it was for real I'd let him know what I thought of his cowardly method of firing me.

7. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Ouch! That IS cold. imagine getting ready for work, driving all the way from home, possibly having to battle with some shitty traffic. Only to get to work and have that happen...

8. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

That is pretty horrible...that's just as bad as handing out scratch off tickets that either say "You're safe" or "Your fired".

9. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

My card swipe normally takes two or three tries to work. Those first few swipes always make me wonder.

I once worked at a small company where there was a printed phone list handed out to everyone, with all of the employees office numbers printed on it. It was always updated after someone left or was fired. One day it was updated and distributed before the person was let go. That caused a bit of a scene.

10. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Really cold.

Something I've heard of happening more and more: training the person that is going to replace you. On CNN 2 years ago a woman said she didn't want to train the new college grad that was her replacement but the management said if she refused, they wouldn't allow her to collect unemployment (she almost started to cry at this part). Incredible, and as that article said, dehumanizing.

11. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

It sure can be an unpleasant scene to be fired - whether that person is being fired or doing the firing.

However, there was one job I had when I was 21 that drove me up the wall during the 60 day probationary period. There were 4 different supervisors, each one claiming to be higher than the others, and each one giving conflicting orders and instructions. Each one LOVED bitching me out when I did not follow THEIR orders, because THEY were ultimately the boss. I was finally fired by the gal who was actually in charge (NOW they tell me!!) and I just about kissed her when she said, "I'm sorry, but we'll have to let you go." I think she was ready to call for security when I grinned ear to ear and said, "Thank you!!" without acting the least bit sarcastic. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I thought I was the only one [​IMG].

--
    H

13. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

In 1994 when my employer (forerunner of HAL) was just discovering the joys of layoffs, we were told that 'resource actions' were coming on a specific date. We 'prepared' ourselves for the magic day. My office mate went so far as to draw a pretty spiffy Grim Reaper on the whiteboard complete with badge.
    On the day of the layoffs, we were all sitting in our offices waiting for our manager to come thru and give us the 'thumb up or thumb down'. One person in the dept. came into my office and asked me if my host session was working, it was. His had disconnected while he was using it. He called the HELP desk and they said that here were no system issues. Then another disconnected person came by and another and so on ...
    Seems that our manager was running late and had not told everyone whether they still had jobs or not. The 2nd level manager had started to 'exit' the people who were to be laid off from the personnel system. As they were 'exited', their host accounts were shut down. I guess you could say that these folks also got the word via e-mail. [​IMG]

14. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Damn, that's the worst I've heard yet. *visions of Cipher unplugging Apoc and Switch in "The Matrix"*

15. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

The article mentioned: "Employees at the Fort Worth headquarters got messages Tuesday morning..."

So the job cuts seemed to have taken place only at headquarters, where everyone would have an e-mail address. In the case of sending an e-mail from one RadioShack address to another, I can comtemplate very few improbable cases where the e-mails would've failed to have been delivered because of spam filters. Also, "company officials had told employees in a series of meetings that layoff notices would be delivered electronically," so employees couldn't have been caught completely off-guard when they got the e-mails. I'm not justifying their actions by any means, I'm just trying to clarify what happened according to the article linked by LanceP.

16. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Yeah, it lacks a certain personal touch, but it's not like they just showed up one morning and found this surprise email in their inbox (and is a heck of an improvement over the process described by Orlando). They were informed in advance that this was going to be the process.

I don't really see how this is any different than the old-fashioned "pink slip" in your pay envelope or having a middle-management flunky deliver the decision made by the CEO in his corporate tower. In very few cases are people working for large corporations ever fired, in-person, by the one who made the actual decision.

17. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

I assume the emails were sent to their work addresses, which they'd all have.

Being called into someone's office and given a bogus reason about why they're letting you go is no more fun than finding out via email.

The bigger issue is being out of work, not how you find out, but this seems dumb from the company's point of view. What about people that didn't notice the message, thought it was a prank, etc?

My story of the worst way I found out- I started my first job out of college. It was about a 50 mile drive. When I was at work Friday of Memorial Day Weekend everything was fine.

I showed up on time Tues am & was given a bogus reason why I was being let go, something about quality of work, odd since I had not been warned about anything & no deadlines had passed or the like.... as I said it was my first job out of school, plus I had only been there 3 months. My job so far had been to learn their system, not something you can really do poor quality work on!

The other guy in my group, who had a lot more experience, got canned the same way, same day.

The firing letter I was given gave the termination date as Friday, so I got screwed out of the holiday pay for Monday.

Plus I wasted time getting up, dressing for work, & driving 100 miles.

Plus had I known Friday, I could have spent that long weekend getting a job search going.

Plus 90 days wasn't long enough to qualify for unemployment benefits. I never put the job on my resume since it was so short. In the long run it would have been better if they had never hired me.

This was a small company where my boss was the owner, so it's not like there was some maze of rules to go thru that delayed the notice.

18. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

It was delivered via the company's internal network, to the employees' corporate email account/address, and they had advance notice that this was coming and how the notification process would work.

19. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    not as bad as the 200 Warner bros employees that were fired on the say so of Carl Icahn, a stockholder, who decided he needed another hundreth of a point increase per quarter (or whatever) on his WB stocks. fuck your so called efficiency, I like humanity. I despise the stock system. Seriously, these people were not fired for any valid reason except for Icahn ordered WB to fire them because his stocks were not as high as he wanted them, so they got to choose 200 random bits of so called 'fat' to trim.

Or Disney firing 350 people the week after Pirates 2's record breaking weekend because the story would be buried by 'bigger' headline box office stories. So much fun for everyone that was probably planning on enjoying an 'upweek' in the office where lots of gift baskets and congratulations gifts are passed around for everyone to sample.

I wonder if the Radioshack CEO will get a big bonus for this?

20. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

What's not clear to me is were the employees at those meetings the ones that were to be fired, or were those meetings attended by *all* employees? Sort of a fine line I guess but still.....