Radiohead only sells full album online, fan enraged

Discussion in 'Music' started by Michael St. Clair, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Michael St. Clair

2. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

Michael -

I agree. They put effort into making albums, as opposed to collections of songs, and I for one appreciate it. Would you buy only selected chapters of a movie (I mean besides Episode 1)??

3. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I completely agree. They should be able to have a voice in how their music is made available.

4. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

That's kind of funny really.

Does he think that Radiohead is the first band that hates singles?

There have been a lot of artists over the years that have avoided singles, and generally it has a negative impact on the amount of money that they can make, so this is not "For Money".

Anyway, I'm with Radiohead all the way on this. For the life of me, I still can't understand why you would want to download singles anyway. How do people store these permanently? It seems like these people just want to listen to them while they're popular and don't care about their harddrive crashing.

I got a little off track there.

5. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

It's simply a different POV from one that presumes music, even popular music, to be art. These folks equate music with widjits, just another product in the consumerist buffet. They prefer their Mona Lisa with a big toothy grin, and how do you presume to deny them their choice?

I believe it was Woody Allen who commented on the use of focus groups by movie studios, essentially wondering why he should trust the opinion of randomly selected persons-on-the-street as opposed to an actual director of motion pictures. After all, good film or bad, one suspects the director was hired precisely because he knows one or two things about making a good movie that's beyond the knowledge of a grip, gaffer, sound technician, or indeed a randomly selected person-on-the-street.*

*(Excepting, of course, McG.)

All part of the great leveling, I suppose. Art has become so devalued as to be indistinguishable from mere entertainment, having become nothing more than "product" churned out by one of three multinational conglomerates for the appeasement of the masses. Peg everything to the lowest common denominator, make it available in easily-digestible slices, and cross-promote it on the Today Show with a tie-in to the latest contrived scandal conceived and executed by the PR people. It's all about moving stock and pandering to the sleepwalking consumerist mentality.

So, if Britney, then why not Radiohead? The great unwashed surely think Thom Yorke would do better for himself by competing for their democratic approval on "International Idol". After all, in this day and age, who really believes that Thom Yorke understands his music better than "enraged fan"? And who contends he has any more right to his own creation than does "random person-on-the-street"?

At the very least, he could have started out as a Mouseketeer and worked his way up the corporate ladder like a good doobie.

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Nice rant, dude.

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

CD Burners.

I presume Radiohead do not allow radio stations to play any tracks from their albums, and do not issue singles from their albums.

I noticed EMI forced Walmart to pull tracks from KidA as Radiohead only want it sold as an album, yet singles from that album are available.

A quick look at a Radiohead discography online suggest there's no real shortage of Radiohead singles in the UK. I'm sure there's an element of contractual obligations involved, but still...

I'm all for artists to have the rights on how/where their music is sold, and I'm all for music as art, but a bit of consistency would be nice.

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Radiohead has always had singles on the radio in the US.

My understanding is just that they don't want singles to be downloaded.

9. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I know what a CD burner is. I use one daily, but the idea of storing music in a library of random CDRs sounds so depressing to me, that I wouldn't even consider it.

10. BrianB

BrianB Producer

So they're happy (and I suspect they aren't, but are contractally obliged) to sell the tracks in the form of a single, but you can't download same track (even if you want to pay for the privilege). Right?

11. Michael St. Clair

It would certainly be a bit more consistent if you could buy the released singles as individual tracks online. That's not the same as being able to buy every album track individually.

If they are opposed to singles, they shouldn't release CD singles (which are a much bigger market in the UK than here these days).

12. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Regardless of what they may think, consumers do not have the right to get anything they want, however they want. While the fanbase can ask for a band to release their material a certain way, the band is under no obligation to do anything about it. It is band (and their financiers) who have the say in how the product is made available, when it is made available, and if it is made available. I'm sure fans were complaining when they couldn't get the latest *insert band name here* album on vinyl or cassette. There are certainly many good reasons for not wanting singles available as downloads, some artistic, some monetary. If you don't like it as a consumer, you are free to decline a purchase.

One good reason for not wanting competing downloads for singles would be in how single sales are charted. If you cut the number of CD sales in half or more by allowing downloads, you are potentially losing out on chart position, which these days is a big deal when rengotiating contracts. It also may pay more to sell a physical single than a download, which is also a legitimate reason.

Personally, I think buying downloads is a ripoff. If I like something enough to listen to it, I'd prefer it be in the highest quality and most durable medium available.

13. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Wow, in the time it took the original poster to write his rant and post it to his blog, he could have downloaded Audacity which allows the user to edit MP3s. [​IMG] Problem solved!

14. Anthony.Lin

Anthony.Lin Stunt Coordinator

The fan is stupid.

Radiohead released Kid A in mp3 form for download on its website before they released the album, and leaked copies of Hail to the Thief were around months before the album was sold.

Thom Yorke has even praised iTunes on different occassions before, saying that the availability of releasing mp3's would allow for Radiohead to release regular B-side singles on random occassions.

15. Anthony.Lin

Anthony.Lin Stunt Coordinator

16. RaulR

RaulR Stunt Coordinator

Uh, no. None of the songs on Kid A have ever been officially released as a single.

17. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Doh, I was thinking of OK Computer. You're right, Raul.

18. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

the only single i've seen and have from radiohead is Hail to the thief, "there there" but it's on vinyl

19. BrianB

BrianB Producer

And because of that, I think it's fair for them to sell Kid A as "album only". However, I stick to my point on the likes of OK Computer that does have a lot of singles available from it. [​IMG]