What's new

Radiohead limited edition CDs? (1 Viewer)

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Hi! I've owned Radiohead's OK Computer for some time now, but I've just recently really listened to it. It's brilliant, and I want to get all of their CDs. I'm a kind of collector nut, and I'd like to get their limited edition CDs. Since I'm kinda late jumping on the bandwagon here, it might be kind of difficult. Can you all tell me which CDs are available in limited editions, and where I might find them? I saw something on CDnow's website about Amnesiac limited edition, and it was $35. Does this sound about right to you all? Also, on Amazon's website, Kid A is available in a limited edition. Do you all think these are the real things? I thought I'd have to look a little harder than that. Please post any pics of the CDs also or descriptions of them. Thanks from a new Radiohead fan!

Rob

Paul D Young

Second Unit
Dear fellow collector nut and Radiohead fan,
Yes, those sound about right and they are the only two limited editions that I know of.
Pablo Honey, The Bends, and OK Computer were in regular jewel cases only. Kid A and Amnesiac had regular jewel case releases as well as limited editions. I Might Be Wrong - Live Recordings comes in a cardboard fold-out case.
There is also a limited edition of the Kid A jewel case version which had an extra booklet behind the CD tray but I do not believe it was marked in such a way that you can tell if you are getting it or not. Since those were in a limited #, I think they are probably all gone.
Kid A limited edition was designed like a childrens book. It has 5 or 6 really thick cardboard pages with 1 very short story (or poem?). It is 6" by 6" and says:
"Kid A BOOK AND COMPACT DISC
COMPACT DISC BY RADIOHEAD
BOOK BY STANLEY AND TCHOCK"
more information can be found HERE
Amnesiac limited edition is a 7 1/2" by 6 1/2" red book that is designed to look like a library book complete with a library card and pouch inside. This book is about 20 full color pages of crazy artwork. The outside of it is like any other hardcover book with no dust jacket. On the cover of the regular version of Amnesiac you will notice that it actually contains a picture of the same book except it is really badly worn and a brighter red. (The red area on the cover is the book turned sideways.)
More info on Amnesiac editions can be found HERE

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Paul,

Thanks so much for the detailed response. I just found Amnesiac limited edition at Amazon, but it was an import. Do you think that's the right thing? It's $38. I hope it is because they only had 1 left, and I just ordered it along with Kid A limited edition. How much did Amnesiac limited edition cost when it first came out? Surely it wasn't $38? Oh well...if it's not the right thing, I'll just return it. Thanks again for your help!

Rob

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Robert,

the question of cost on the Amnesiac book is a really difficult one to answer. I only paid £2 more than I did for the normal edition. Sad Radiohead fanatic that I am, we have two copies of the book (one for me and one for my wife), one of the normal CD and the double 10" vinyl edition as well.

On the other hand, I've seen some shops charge double the cost of the normal edition for the book version, so there is no small amount of luck in it.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Iain - there is no such thing as a sad Radiohead fanatic. Don't listen to the voices!! ;)
Robert, cool though the SE's of those albums are, you should make sure you get hold of their b-sides. Every (UK) single from the Bends is worth owning.
Look out for a bootleg CD called 'Unplugged' as it has the original version of Motion Picture Soundtrack on that is (IMO) way better than the Kid A version.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Of course, its not just the Bends singles that are worth buying. They are definitely necessary purchases, with great b-sides like Talk Show Host and Killer Cars, but if you don't buy the others as well you'll be missing out on tracks like Palo Alto and Cuttooth.

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Hey, guys! Thanks for your responses. I just bought Kid A the regular version at Best Buy last night, and I just opened it. It has the extra little book! It was the last copy they had, and it was on sale for $9.99! How cool is that (if they still don't package the new ones with the book under the CD tray)!? It looked really old, and I wouldn't have bought this copy if it hadn't been the only one they had. Lucky break for a collector nut, huh?

Rob

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Good one!! If you can find the 'book' edition of Amnesiac then you can slip that book into the pocket along with the CD. It has references to Amnesiac in it also...;)
And Ian, I love all the b-sides, but the bends ones are special. Robert, your purchases should really be (roughly in release order):
Pablo Honey
Itch EP (NZ imports are usually cheaper than the Japanese)
My Iron Lung E.P. (Both UK MIL singles together)
The Bends
-High & Dry parts 1 & 2
-Just Parts 1 & 2
-Fake Plastic Trees Parts 1 & 2
-Street Spirit Parts 1 & 2
OK Computer
Airbag E.P. (All but 1 UK OKC orignal b-side, I believe - Lull)
Kid A
Amnesiac
That pretty much covers all the best stuff in my mind...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks