What's new

Radiohead 'Hail To The Thief' (1 Viewer)

Steve Owen

Second Unit
I more or less agree with Ted's assessment, although I didn't find any one song annoying (nor did I find any one song spectactular). I think it's a good album... better than Amnesiac, on par with Kid A, not as good as OK Computer. But like most Radiohead albums, I'm sure it'll get even better over time.

Solid, but not groundbreaking.

-Steve

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
WIth all Radiohead albums, it grows on you over time. Everyone of their albums there is one track the immediately grabs me and wont let go, while the others I have to hear over and over again, then all of a sudden they click to me. Just recently I got hooked on certain bends tracks all over again. The song on Pablo Honey that hooked me was Creep of course, then Thinking About You after that.
On The Bends(their best by far in my opinion) the song that sunk its claws into me was Fake Plastic Trees, then High and Dry. Lately I have to say Blackstar is the best one off of their, as it grew on me over time. I still think this is their most perfect album so far.
OK Computer was amazing, but not the be all end all most made it to be. The song that got me first there was Exit Music, then Let Down. Overall that album didnt feel as solid as Bends.
Kid A had How to Disappear Completely, one of their best ever in my opinion. But the showstopper on that was Everything in its Right Place. The perfect opening song.
Amnesiac had Dollars and Cents, then the rest grew on me.
But Hail to the Thief has Wolf at the Door. I first heard this on a bootleg concert almost a year ago and was mesmerized by it. Became almost obsessed with it you would say. This is one of my favorite songs ever by them, and is quickly rising up to the top. Just a very creepy and haunting song.
I think they are better than ever, even though the album as a whole isnt as good. They are changing and I respect the fact they dont want to be shooed into any one genre.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
So I've heard the CD has some pretty crappy copy protection that plays low quality WMAs when you pop it into your computer.

Anyone tried playing on their computer, or had difficulties in any other player (someone on Usenet complained about it not working in their CD/MP3 Walkman).

Sorry if this was implicitly answered, but... does the title refer to George Bush or not?
From http://www.rollingstone.com/features...n.asp?pid=1687

When did you first hear the phrase "hail to the thief," and what made it appealing as an album title?

It was a formative moment -- one evening on the radio, way before we were doing the record. The BBC was running stories about how the Florida vote had been rigged and how Bush was being called a thief. That line threw a switch in my head. I couldn't get away from it. And the light -- I was driving that evening with the radio on -- was particularly weird. I had this tremendous feeling of foreboding, quite indescribable, really. To me, all the feelings on the record stem from that moment.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I think this is an above average Radiohead album. The actual released version sounds considerably BETTER than mp3's that made their way onto the Internet a while back. I've been listening to the finished product for about a week now and I feel it is a more substantial album than Amnesiac. In addition to "There there," I think there are two (or possibly three) songs that may wind up getting some radio play.

At least the boys have picked up their guitars again! :D

Gary

p.s. If you like recent Radiohead, you may want to check out the long awaited debut album from The Rapture, called "Echoes," whenever it finally sees the light of day...

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
It's beginning to sink in more with me after the 2nd listen. Right now, I'm favoring it more than Amnesiac and probably more than Kid A.

James Zubb

Stunt Coordinator
Well, if this CD does have copy protection, then it is pretty crappy. Just ripped a couple of tracks. Plays fine in my computer, plays fine on my Rio Volt.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I burned a copy onto CD-R (as I do with all my new CD's) and popped the CD-R into my Sony 7700. Sounds good to me.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
It is rippable. I ripped it and added it to my Kenwood Music Keg for my car. The CD stays on the HT at home.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I could not rip my copy with Exact Audio Copy. I wonder if there's different pressings out there, some with protection, some not. The one I have (which is a US/Canadian disc) has a big copy protect notice on the back and is totally devoid of the Compact Disc logo.

Oh well - f**k em. I'm ripping it digitally via my sound card. Funny, when this happens I have a strange urge to give copies out for free just to spite them.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I think they are better than ever, even though the album as a whole isnt [sic] as good.
Um, OK. I don't get it.

I think Radiohead are becoming (gasp) boring. There was a large stylistic leap from Bends to OKC, and again to Kid. But things have stuck in a holding pattern since that album.

They just don't sound like a band, at least not in the studio. I mean, as far as I can tell, track 4 ("Backdrifts") is Thom's voice, a drum machine and some synthesizers. Is the rest of the band sitting around the studio, just waiting for something to do? This thing feels like half of a solo album, as did Kid and Amnesiac. It's decent music, just not very compelling, and the sameness of the last 3 records is wearing thin. Kind of reminds me of the pattern that U2 followed in the mid-to-late '90s.

I think that, pulling from the last 3 albums, you can compile a single extraordinary album, but a lot of the material bores me. Here's hoping that Yorke is true to his word and that the next record finds them reinventing themselves once again. As good as Goodrich is as a producer, I think they ought to shelve the collaboration and see where it takes them.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
Kind of reminds me of the pattern that U2 followed in the mid-to-late '90s
doh...now you've gone and done it! ;) actually i pretty much agree. this is an okay album, but it just isn't flooring me like previous work.

maybe our expectations are too high now? or maybe the band is hitting a wall. or, maybe i just need to listen a few more times - radiohead songs tend to require that.

anyway...i'm not knockin' these guys. even with this album it's still some of the most refreshing music i've listened to in quite some time.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Different strokes, right?

Listened to it again. Still sounds like a Thom Yorke solo record: except for a few cuts, I don't hear a band here. Still, it's well-crafted, even if it bores me.

Does "2+2=5" sound like Radiohead-Does-Pearl-Jam to anyone else but me?

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
One more thing. (If I wasn't a fan, I wouldn't care, and I'd stop posting; but I am, and I do, so I will.)

In discussing the album with a close friend, he remarked that the album is completely joy-less. Spot on. OKC painted a grim picture of things but, in brief flashes, there is passion, there is joy seeping through. The swirling coda of "Karma Police"--there is energy, there is life, the machine hasn't won yet. These last 3 records have sapped the joy entirely away. Yeah the lyrics are dour, sure the music is dense and difficult. But, come on, give me a bit of light here and there.

I think Radiohead need to collaborate with another producer. Not sure who, maybe Eno. He can bring the texture and a bit of the joy, as well.

John Milton

Second Unit
I think HTTT is the best Radiohead album yet! The disc songs seem to get better with each listen. Between this album and the new Blur disc, it's a great year for Brit rock!

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i still really like this album, and it only gets better after time. i've listened to this album a few dozen times in the last month or two, and it just keeps growing on me. the leaked version was a little different and undoubtedly unmastered. but i'm much happier with the final version from the copy i purchased when Best Buy opened for business on the 10th.

and yes, Wolf at the Door is by far the best song on the album :)

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
I think Radiohead need to collaborate with another producer. Not sure who, maybe Eno. He can bring the texture and a bit of the joy, as well.
now, that would pretty much assure them being compared to U2, now wouldn't it ? And, I think Eno would take them in even stranger directions given their current bias towards cold soundscapes. Either way, it'd be a cool collaberation as they (along w/ pretty much everyone else producing electronic music for the last 25-28 yrs) owe a lot to Eno.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Good comments, Angelo. While I am really enjoying HTT, I also listen to the Swans and Coil, which is, if anything, inaccessible and desolate, so it says more about me. But I agree there was a kind of passion and soul prior to Radiohead's succumbing to an emptier sound that I would like to someday see revived (cool comment about karma police, i agree).

~j

Sam Owens

Stunt Coordinator
Just on the Copy 'Control', the US versions are proper CDs, the rest of the world gets corrupted garbage. :angry:

Needless to say, I'm not paying $A20 to listen to 36kbps MP3s on my computer. After reading the favorable reviews, Kazaa here I come...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks