What's new

Radiohead 'Hail To The Thief' (1 Viewer)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
The downloaders that DON'T buy an artist's CD won't be wearing their snide smiles if the majors file for Chapter 11.
Cry me a river. They created their own problems.

That said, I should add that I DO buy based upon mp3 downloads. I honestly think I buy more because of mp3.

But back to the topic at hand...

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I'm with camp. But it isn't a discussion for this thread.
I have the leaked version and I'm not terribly impressed, we'll see how I feel when I get the real deal in my hands this summer :)

JamieD

Supporting Actor
Well, I'm personally against pirating music. I am not a big fan of stolen software, and use none anymore. But that is neither here nor there for this topic, and much like impressions regarding Radiohead's recent releases, it is very personal, and some people's perspectives cannot be understood.

As for the music I've heard, I am very impressed. While I can certainly pick a number of things which I will be suprised if they are not changed (such as the clarity of the vocals, they haven't been non-distorted for a while now), overall I like the tracks. If nothing else they will make for an interesting comparison.

Matt_P

Second Unit
Now that the real album is coming out in less than 2 weeks (June 10th), I thought I'd resurrect this old thread.

From what I've heard, Hail to the Thief looks to be another accomplishment for Radiohead. The video for the first single, "There There" premiered recently. It's solid--a nice homage to stop motion animation, if it can be categorized.

Now, there is a regular, and a limited edition coming out....any differences in regard to content, or just packaging?

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to know the difference between the two versions as well. Anyone know?

The 2 or 3 early reviews I've read have been very good. Of course, I would expect nothing less.

James Zubb

Stunt Coordinator
The only info I have found lists special package with a foldout map as the bonus in the limited edition.

4 songs and "There There" video available for stream at: http://capitolrecords.com/radiohead/player/

Oh and an interesting quote from Thom I found in my searching:

"We're a pop band again for now, because it was necessary," he said. "Just doing what we're good at. But, no matter how good I feel about the new album and how much fun we're having in what we do right now, we've been there already. We're not moving.

"This is 'OK Computer 2'. What we will do from now on, should not be anything like we've done before. We will not go further back, like everyone expects. There won't be a second 'The Bends'. There is not a single good reason for it. As a band, we have fully discussed this matter recently. Radiohead will be completely unrecognisable in two years. At least, I hope so. It's the only perspective of the future that I can live with."

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Neat quote. Gotta respect a band that is unafraid to alter their sound after being so successful. I look forward to them setting trends for many years to come.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Yep, and I just listened to it.

Keep in mind I'm someone who's only listened to it once and prefer their older material...

This definitely is continuing the pattern set by Kid A and Insomniac. They no longer sound like a band as so much a collective group of sound painters.

Overall, I would say it is much more consistent and solid than the previous two albums and that they have become comfortable in defining their new sound. That is, the "transition" period is over and they have hit a stride. Whether or not you like this "stride" is up to you, of course. I personally find it compelling but not gripping.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
if it's anything like the version that was leaked but I never downloaded but might have heard, I'd agree with Mike.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I personally think this is their best album since The Bends. Ok Computer was good, but the Bends was their best in my opinion.
And also, the low price on this shouldnt be a reference as to the quality of the music. It is all about getting you in the store.
Wolf at the Door rocks

JamieD

Supporting Actor
I have purchased and enjoyed each Radiohead album. I enjoy them as individual works of artists, not as comparison fodder in the normal sense. I spin Kid A and Amnesiac just as often as Pablo Honey, The Bends, and of course OK Computer.

With all that said, I very much enjoy Hail to the Thief. It is indeed a different work, in that it shows the experimentation with "different" sounds, but as members of the band have stated, they went at this one with a more structured approach, and they ended up with something a bit more streamlined and "Rock" oriented.

Personally, I'd give this album high ratings, but I have to each of the Radiohead albums. They seem to hit chords with me, whether it be lyrically, or just the "sound" of the song. I'm not the type who will musically decompose a track to study the complexities: I like to listen to what I like to hear. I like to listen to older Radiohead albums. I like to listen to Hail to the Thief.

Will you, or others like to listen to it? Buy it/borrow it/find it and see. You won't know what you think until you do, because the opinion of their recent works will tint nearly everyone's opinion of this.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Gave it a few spins. It's solid, but unspectacular, and very much of a piece with Kid and Amnesiac. I've enjoyed this 'phase' of Radiohead, but it hasn't really moved me. Ultimately, I don't think it's something that I'll come back to often.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
as a pretty avid radiohead fan, i can say that i'm satisfied with this album. it doesn't approach the awesomeness that is kid a, but it's a good album on it's own accord.

like jamie said, this band just "strikes a chord" with me - it's hard to put into words. there's just something about their sound...their feel that i can relate to.

however, i gotta say that thom's whining is starting to get to me. songs like "we suck young blood" is just plain annoying! i actually had to skip it. i prefer songs with some pace to it - like "where i end and you begin" or "there there". those are much more like it.

comparisons to other albums are inevitable - how else will we know if the band is growing or becoming stagnant? while their albums haven't changed dramatically for the past three, each are still individual enough to stand on their own merit.

any radiohead fan will definitely enjoy this album. casual listeners may want to preview it first.

i give it a "B".

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Sorry if this was implicitly answered, but... does the title refer to George Bush or not?

I have to admit, reading the title of the album immediately made me think about him.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I bought it yesterday, listened to it a few times and I would agree with Angelo - it is solid but there is nothing great about it.

For me Radiohead peaked with The Bends and Ok Computer - they were spectacular albums. I just hope they move in a different direction for their next album.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks