1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Radiohead 'Hail To The Thief'

Discussion in 'Music' started by Camp, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Paul Case

Paul Case Supporting Actor

I have to say that Hail To The Thief continues the downward trend that Radiohead has been on ever since they peaked with Kid A. This album barely registers at all after two listens, which does not bode well for it. There is simply nothing that stands out here. It's the kind of album that seems to end very quickly because you never really even notice that it has gotten started. Very disappointing...

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

3. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i've heard the album in its entirety (i know it isnt totally legal, but believe me- i'll be the first in line to buy it on June 9), and i must say that it's very good. while i still dont think it touches the perfection achieved on OK Computer, i believe it's just as good as (or better than) Amnesiac. Kid A has a slight edge on it still.

the sound is a sort of blend of everything they've done thus far. songs like 2+2=5, Where I end and you Begin, and There There are totally original styles of music (once again [​IMG]). some songs, such as Sail to the Moon, mimic the b-side True Love Waits as slow, beautiful songs. Backdrifts and Myxamatosis are very rock-electronic, and Go to Sleep reminds me very much of Pablo Honey, but in a time signature i cannot decipher.

many/most of these can be heard from live shows in europe over the past 9 months. they're very good live, but i've always preferred the studio perfection of Radiohead to their live sound (although they are AWESOME live!). i'd have to say my favorite songs at this time are 2+2=5, There There, and Go to Sleep. the album itself is very, VERY good though [​IMG]

and since there's gonna likely be a big commotion over my having this album at this time, here's my reply: the band and their label almost seem to encourage online distribution of their songs. their past two albums have been available in their entirety weeks before release, and they believe this has actually helped their sales. i, for one, will be telling my friends about this CD and how much it rocks much like i'm doing in this thread. in addition, i'll be buying a copy for myself since i utterly despise mp3 and need a good quality version to keep myself sane. [​IMG] besides, i've heard that this version is before the disc was mastered, so there's still alot to look forward to.

anyways, Hail to the Thief rocks, so be sure to pick it up on June 9.

4. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

5. Paul Case

6. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Or they leaked it in this "unfinished" form to gather feedback from the internet fans/community in order to tweak the album...

7. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Or they leaked it in the "unfinished" form to satisfy early downloaders and to still get CD sales from fans who will want to hear the "finished" version once the CD releases.

8. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

I guess these utopians thought that this title is going to help them sell the cd. I'll pass on it.

9. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas

10. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Haven't heard the "leaked" stuff, but I'd bet that the band is responsible.

If you don't want the music to get out, then it doesn't. Nowadays, anything other than a strict system of preventing a leakage--in the case of a band like this--is going to allow for this type of thing.

My question is: why can't folks wait for the official release?

np: Pete Yorn.

11. Paul Case

12. BrianB

BrianB Producer

13. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas

14. Michael St. Clair

Wasn't Radiohead one of the bands that once sent out promo copies on cassette, epoxied into a walkman?

15. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I don't entirely disagree w/ the points made about leakage, but I think the Microsoft analogy, wherein dozens if not hundreds of individuals might have access to a developing product and the capability for leaking it, is a pale one. Band members, studio staff and a few record company folks ought to be the only people hearing the stuff before it gets out. It amazes me how material from some bands always seems to leak early, Radiohead among them, while others are much more successful at keeping things in the black box.

Oh well. I still suspect the band had a role in the 'leak'.

16. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

17. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

One thing is for sure, you won't be able to guarantee you've got the finished version of the album unless you've seen it come off the CD with your own eyes now - clever...

18. BrianB

BrianB Producer

19. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

The downloaders that DON'T buy an artist's CD won't be wearing their snide smiles if the majors file for Chapter 11.

Selfish weenies.

LJ

20. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

a local radio station here in chicago has played one of the songs already but they were then told to stop