What's new

Radiohead distortion (1 Viewer)

ScottAndrew

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

When I listen to Sail to the Moon on Radiohead's Hail to the Thief, there are times, particularly in the second verse, when it sounds somewhat distorted, just a little bit crackly. It drives me nuts not knowing if something is wrong with my speakers. Has anyone else noticed that?

Thanks

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
just listened to it...it sounds okay to me. what timestamp do you hear it at?

these days, when i hear distortion, it's usually meant to be there. with radiohead ... anything's possible. :)

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I find most of Radiohead's albums to be rather poor-quality recordings from a technical standpoint. Kid A and Amnesiac fare slightly better, but there is still quite a bit of grunge present in the recording chain...

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member

I just "got into" Radiohead a few years ago. At first, this is exactly what I thought too. But to be honest, now I believe that the seemingly poor quality production is actually done on purpose. Just part of their overall presentation, kind of thing.

ScottAndrew

Stunt Coordinator
It kicks in at about 2:32. I'm noticing it on my headphones at work too, so I guess it is part of the recording. It's unfortunate because to me it sounds more like blown speakers than bad recording. I had ordered it off eBay and the guy sent me a ripped CD with an inkjet-printed label, so at first I thought it was compression, then I bought the real CD and still heard it.
But it's good music so I'll live with it.
Thanks

Aaron_Mum

Stunt Coordinator
If you want to have a real heart attack fire up Johnny Cash's recording of "hurt" from one of his new albums. At the end of the tune they crank up the gain and overload everything, it had me sweating for a second!!

Adrian P

Stunt Coordinator

I agree with that.

Off topic, does anyone have the Bodysong CD? It is the soundtrack to a documentary composed by Johnny Greenwood, Radiohead's guitarist. It is incredible - the recording sounds extremely clean too ;). The documentary is cool to but you need a region free player (PAL region 2)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...music&n=507846

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

I agree w/ this statement as well. Radiohead seems to be one of those bands that is concerned with vibe and feeling over technical excellence...

Aaron brought up the distortion on "Hurt" by Johnny Cash. I only have this album on vinyl and I've always thought it was a poor-quality pressing or something :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks