What's new

Radio Shack SPL Meter, digital or analog?? (1 Viewer)

GregE

Agent
I am going to pick up a SPL meter tonight at Radio Shack and was wondering which one to get. Is there an advantage to having the analog? I am leaning towards the digital unless I I receive a preponderance of evidence that the analog is superior. Thanks for the help..

RandyRush

Stunt Coordinator
Everything I have read indicates that the analog is the preferred choice; however, I visited 4 RS and could not find one; so I got the digital and am very pleased with it.

Jason Wolters

Stunt Coordinator
Most everything read here that relates to the RS meter, relates to the analog model. Avia uses the analog meter in all of it's tests and even shows a guy using it on the DVD. I wouldn't get the digital meter if it were me. I didn't anyhow.

Ed_A

Stunt Coordinator
Save yourself some cash and get the analog one...I have one and it works great. :emoji_thumbsup:
Personally I like seeing a needle for calibration. YMMV.
Ed

GregE

Agent
Thanks for the replies. I picked up the analog and saved $20. Does anyone know a good source for a "how to" to calibrate my system? What level do you set the volume?

Thanks again!

gene avallon

Stunt Coordinator
greg
I like video essentials and strykes test cd basszone volume 1,10 bucks for the strykes,VE ? I got pretty good useing these over the past few weeks. THANKS EVERYONE
gene
:) :)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I have both, and I prefer to use the digital for calibration for the following reason: When you are calibrating to 75dB, 85dB, or any x5 number, it causes the most deflection and forces the needle into the least accurate part of its range since it's centered at 0.

I don't know how much this really matters, I just find the digital easier to use.

John H

Second Unit
I have both. I use the digital version for setting the level of my subwoofers. It contains an average measurement mode taken from a user programable time period the analog does not.
This provides consistent reference readings when measuring a subwoofer test tone.
John

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
Fair question Jack. There are several reasons I am more comfortable using the analog.
In addition to using it for speaker balance, I use it with the Stryke Zone CD for setting my BFD to equalize my sub. I put the meter on a tripod at the appropriate location and it's easier for me to watch the meter swings than it is to read the digital display. I can sit in a chair and record the results without being right on top of the meter. I just turn the meter on it's side so I can read it horizontally. When doing sweeps, it's easier for me to visualize what's going on watching the meter. Us old timers don't change easily, and besides, we wear reading glasses.:)
I also like the positive switch settings for the weighting and response settings rather than the push buttons on the digital.
Deane

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I had both, and much preferred tha analog version. You simply can not get less than 1 dB resolution on the digital version. On the analog version, you can get down to 0.25 dB or better if you really want to.
One could say that the digital one is easier to use, but I'd say that the analog one has higher resolution. :)
As far as I know, no difference in how the 2 operate. C or A weighting; fast or slow, etc. Just the display that's different.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks