What's new

Radio Shack Sound Level Meter,..which one? (1 Viewer)

GraysonAng

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to buy a Sound Level Meter to calibrate my home theater system.

Radio Shack has 2:

Analog

Digital

Is the Digital worth the extra $10?

Thanks,
Grayson

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
Stick with the Analog. 99% of this Forum audience will recommend it over the digital. I used it for my cal and it works great!

Stephen Weller

Stunt Coordinator
Get the analog and try it. If you don't like it, take it back and get the digital. Try it. If you don't like it, take it back and get the analog. Etc...etc...etc...

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Analog allows easier interpolation of the reading when the needle is fluctuating on the subwoofer calibration rumble tone.

Also, setting the meter to the next higher scale will minimize the movement of the needle on the rumble tone.

For example, if you want 85 dB with Avia for the sub tone, set the scale to 90 dB and shoot for the -5 mark.

Ed

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
Well this turned out to be a "prove me wrong" stand now didn't it. Before I bought my new HT components about 3 months ago, I asked this same question and most everyone said the analog was the way to go. I forget what the big reason or advantage the analog had over the digital was, but the audiophiles of the forums said the analog was the top choice. Actually, if you look in the HT mags about calibrations and even some DYI guides posted on these forums, they also recommend the analog over digital.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I think the analogue is the better choice. Easier (more intuitive) readout, faster calibration, quicker comparisons, etc.
And, anyway, IMO a digital one never gives you back enough for the $10 or so extra.

Cees

Steve Griswold

Stunt Coordinator
While on the topic, does anyone know if the new "2.0" version of the analog meter requires the same corrections as the old one?

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was common knowledge that the more :savvy: HT individuals like to use the dgtl meter.:p) :) Is this not the case??

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

That is almost a sure bet. It's essentially the same meter, and it is still C-weighted.

At a minimum use the C-weighted correction factors (which are smaller than the RS CFs). Or just use the common RS CFs and be done with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks