Radio Shack RCA PRO-X44 Speakers Any Good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Will, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

A friend of mine was thinking of picking these up the next time RS puts them on sale for his bedroom setup. He's not looking for anything fancy. I think these speakers are the same as the old Optimus die-cast metal speakers that have a 4 inch woofer & a 1 inch soft dome tweeter. Just looking for your thoughts on them or what else would you suggest in that "SIZE" (or smaller) & "PRICE" range ($29.99 to $39.99 each). Thanks

2. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

If they are the same as the old LXi Pro's (I believe that

was the old name) with the Linaeum 360 Degree Membrane

Tweeter on top, they are suposed to be a very good speaker

for the money.

3. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

No there not the ones with the Linaeum Tweeters.

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

5. Alexis

Alexis Stunt Coordinator

The ones that Bill is talking about isn't the lineaum one. It is the old school die cast bookshelf. Dr Hsu used a set of these with a modified crossover to demo his subs a few years ago.

So they are good speakers, and can be made better with some mods. I don't know where the info on the mods are off the top of my head though..

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I believe you guys are talking about what used to be known as the Realistic Minimus 7's. I remember the now-defunct Audio magazine tested a pair with a modified crossover. For what you pay for them when they are on sale, these are great speakers. If you do a search on "Realistic Minimus 7" on google, you will find a surprising number of professional recording studios use them for monitoring how a recording sounds on a "typical sound system".

7. DaleR

DaleR Stunt Coordinator

hey bill

i use some minimus 7's as my rear speakers and find they are quite good for their cost. i modded mine by changing the elements of the crossover. i replaced value for value the electrolytic capacitor for a polypropylene one (about $4.00cdn) and the coil (also about 4.00 cdn) for a higher awg gauge one. if i remember the values were 4.7 uf for the cap and .40 mh for the coil. this gives a crossover freq of about 4500. but you're gonna want to check to make sure.

other tweaks i have heard of specific to the pro-x44 involve reversing the tweeter polarity and stuffing the bass port.

8. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Danny, Dale, Yes those are the one's (the old Minimus 7 Type). I always thought they were a pretty good speaker for the money but I just thought I'd check incase there was something new in that price range that might be better.

9. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Bill,

Despite their image, Radio Shack actually has come up with a number of products that are very good, even excellent, for their prices. The Minimus 7 was only one of them. There was also the Optimus CD-3400 portable CD player, the huge Mach 1 speakers, the LX-series speakers, and the current Radio Shack phono pre-amp (at less than $25.00). Tell your friend to have fun with those RS speakers.