Radio Shack / RCA / Optimus Pro-LX550

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn C, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I noticed that Radio Shack has updated their PRO-LX5 speakers! The new ones have a kevlar driver and a new cabinet design. I am assuming the linaeum tweeter is the same. The new model number is Pro-LX550.
    I had 4 of the LX5-II's a while back and I am still sorry I sold them. They sounded pretty decent, especially for the money. I wonder if these would be worth picking up as an upgrade for my bedroom system. Has anyone heard these yet? I know they only go down to about 80hz, but paired with a sub they should sound decent.
    I still don't know why they changed the name of all their stuff to "RCA". At least Optimus sounded a little better than "RCA".
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=40%2D5037

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I haven’t heard them, Shawn, but if you liked the old ones I doubt you’ll be disappointed with the new ones. Either way, the Shack has a generous return policy. [​IMG]
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

The Pro LX-550s are shielded now. I heard them and they are very good. But NEVER buy them at their regular price of $150.00/each; get them at their every once in a while sale price of $75.00/each.

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I gave my old ones to my brother. I briefly heard the new ones which also sounded good. It is nearly impossible to judge audio equipment the way it is typically set-up in Radio Shack or any of the mass market type stores. When they go on sale for one-half they are an unbeatable bargain. I might know someone who has the old ones and have never opened them. I think they bought 5 and when they had a house built they used the 3 up front and had in-ceiling speakers for the rears.

5. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Sounds good. I know they aren't the best speakers in the world by a long shot but they were very good for the money (when on sale). I always thought they were the only speakers at Radio Shack worth buying..
    And no, I'm not going to go from Klipsch Reference to Radio Shack [​IMG] BUT, for the price, you probably can't beat them for a small apartment/bedroom/2nd system setup.