Radio Shack Gold single "Audio/Video" cable. Is it audio or video. Chu?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Luke_Y, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Radio Shack Gold single "Audio/Video" cable. Is it audio or video. Chu?

See Here

A cable that is marked "audio OR video" I take it that it would be a "video" cable in actuality but I am not sure. If it is a "video" cable than it would appear to make a nice cheap digital audio interconnect.

On the same subject, a friend suggests that with the Radio Shack Gold series cables- all cables would be the same as the "video" portion of a cable set... i.e. a bundled 3 cable A/V interconnect is actually 3 identical "video" cables and it would also be the same as a "component" video cable. He suggests that "subwoofer cables" and "Digital Coax".would also be the same as the video cables.

I have no idea if this is true or not, but have no reason to doubt it as I believe that a proper video cable would work fine in all those applications. It seems that if the cost difference was negligible in volume purchase it would certainly be recouped in ease of manufacturing.

I have heard that Radio Shack has been very forthcoming with cable specs. Has anyone ever gotten that level of specs from them. Chu, I think you are quite knowledgeable in this area if you are reading do you have any info, opinion, or insight?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The rules are:

- Video cables must be made with something called "75 ohm" coax.

- Coaxial Digital cables must be made with 75 ohm coax

Audio cables can be made with ANY of the popular types of coax (50/75/110/300 ohm). Video cables make dandy audio interconnects.

If a cable is labeled "Audio/Video", likely it is 75 ohm coax.

3. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

I'm using something similar to that (3 ft instead of 6gt) for a digital coaxial connection for my HD tuner. It works great for me.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

From Radio Shack I obtained the following informaton...