Radio Shack Gold Series vs Blue Jeans Cables

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Andrew Pezzo, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

I currently use Radio Shack Gold series for all interconnects. Due to the purchase of a new amp, I might relocate all of my equipment to a new location wich would require new interconnects all around.

I was thinking of getting Blue Jeans cables because the price is better than other online sites. Honestly I would like to get some bettercables but are simply to much money for what the lengths I will need. I was wondering if the BJ's wold offer any improvments over the Radio Shack stuff. The gold series has served me very well but if I have to get new interconnects I would like to get something better than I have now without breaking the bank.

Also, how does AR and Dayton interconnects compare to Radio Shack, similiar?

2. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    Unless you have incredibly sensitive and expensive high end equipment,speakers etc., odds are very slim that you'll notice any difference.

SAVE YOUR MONEY...keep what you've got.

3. JamesGL

JamesGL Stunt Coordinator

What Alf said.
    If you want something visually better looking, Dayton cables are quite inexpensive.
    Or, go on ebay, you can get NXG cables for under $10 or Monster component for like $15.
    Never pay retail on Monster.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I tend to like the Radio Shack/AR Pro level of cables for:

- Audio interconnects
    - Subwoofer interconnects
    - Coaxial Digital interconnects
    - Standard Video (480i) video sources like VCR, CATV box

Where I prefer to spend a bit more money is on the video cable for 'better' sources like:

- DVD player
    - HD source (CATV or Sat or STB)

This tends to get you to spend a bit more money where it might be needed (depending upon your TV size, source and sensitivity), and save money where you dont need the high-frequency cables.

5. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

My line of thinking pretty much is inline with everyone has said so far. I had a feeling that any difference between Radio Shack and Blue Jeans would be purely numbers and not audibly different.

Maybe I will find a way to reuse some of the ones I have now a get a high quality interconnect for video since its going to be about a 25 foot run.

I have been very happy with the radio shack gold series, good value for you get.

6. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

FWIW, I have the following equipment:

Denon AVR 3803
    Def Tech BP7001sc's, CLR3000
    Earthquake Grande 3 channel amp

My biggest reason for the interconnects has to do with making sure I dont short change my equipment. I cant afford high end cables at this time but I also dont want to skimp in that department either. Besides, I am not sure extremely expensives cables are worth it anyways.

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Well you do have some good equipment there.

Generally, in order of importance, here is what you worry about for good sound:

- Good source & equipment (you got that covered)
    - Good speaker placement (note: those Bipolars should be pulled out from the back wall)
    - Proper calibration & adjustment
    - Speaker wires (carry power)
    - Audio interconnects

So the interconnects are fairly far down the list in order of importance.

Cables tend to be rated/graded based on their maximum frequency capability. Audio is a trivial challenge for most of these cables.

Since you have a 3-channel amp, you could get a 3-foot Component Cable set made with Canare/Belden coax, and get it covered with TechFlex (braded covering) so it looks good for about $40 from BlueJeans cables. The Belden 1505F would be a nice choice (because you are likely doing a tight-bend).

8. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

Funny that you mention that. My wife is not a big fan of the amp (it is rather large) so I may put it in a closet, requiring a 20 foot run. Blue Jeans suggested the same thing when I asked them what cable to go with. Then I got to thinking about putting all the equipment in the closet and getting a RF remote, hence requiring several new cables. Plus, it would get the amp on another circuit.

- Good source & equipment (you got that covered)
    - Good speaker placement (note: those Bipolars should be pulled out from the back wall)
    - Proper calibration & adjustment
    - Speaker wires (carry power)
    - Audio interconnects

I pretty much have all the above covered. Speaker placement is not the best but my living space poses some limitations. Once the amp breaks in I will calibrate the speakers. And for speaker wire, I use 12 guage Ultralink. I may try some semi-DIY speaker cables eventually by wrapping 2 pairs around each other for each front 3 speakers.

My DVD player is nothing special. When I get an HDTV I will upgrade to a progressive scan model. For now the current one works fine.

Thanks Bob, that was just what I was looing for. [​IMG]