Radio Shack Gold Series - A/V vs Component Video?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike--HH, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Mike--HH

Mike--HH Auditioning

I finally got around to getting the correct length cables yesterday to connect my DVD to my tv. In the Radio Shack Gold series is there a significant difference between the Audio/Video cables (19.99 for 12 ft) and the Component Video cables (49.99 for 12 ft)?? I bought the less expensive but haven't opened them yet. Sales guy was no help. They look to be the same.

Thanks,

Mike

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Audio cables generally have 50 ohm impedence vs. 75 for video cable. If you are looking to hook-up your DVD player to the TV with a short run you can always go to places like www.markertek.com and get Canare stuff made up or if you have a smaller budget place like www.milestek.com also sells decent quality component cable. A 6 ft. component cable at Milestek (part 30-105-072) is $29.95.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Mike. Welcome to HTF.

When you talk about the Radio Shack Audio/Video cables, I am assuming you are refering to the ones with L/R/Video - 3 cables in 1 bundle?

About 2 years ago someone cut these apart and found that all 3 wires were identical. Since video cables must all be 75 ohm coax, this means that all 3 wires are in essence "Video Cables". They should work fine as a Component video cable set.

(Note: There is no promise that these cables continue to be all 75 ohm coax, but it makes sense from a manufacturing point of view. Also, if the audio cables are different, your video picture should be messed up so it should be obvious. And no, it wont damage your TV to try).

Now I often recommend Radio Shack or AR brand cables for modest size displays. But they are not good enough for a more "sensitive" system where the cables become a limiting factor.

Your system starts to become "sensitive" to the cables if any of these conditions start to apply:

- Your display size gets greater than about 50"

- You have runs longer than about 10 feet

- You are shoving Progressive/HD signals down the wires

If you have any of these situations, then you might want to think about some wires with better tollerences or similar to the stuff they use in the production studios.

There are several web sites that will custom-build component video cables with production-studio grade coax (like from Belden or Canare), and they will use very high quality RCA plugs (which are often the downfall of otherwise good coax).

Hope this helps.

4. Mike--HH

Mike--HH Auditioning

Thanks for the replies. Just the info I was looking for.

You are correct. I have the A/V cable with the L/R/video in one bundle.

I already had a Monster component cable (6Ft) But I needed a little longer to have the cable lie correctly on the floor to my equipment rack. I don't need 12 ft, but they only go from 6ft to 12 ft. Looks like I can just go with the cables I bought. I am just hooking to my 32" Tau TV and don't yet have a progressive scan DVD player. thanks again.

Mike