Radio shack fiber optic cable

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sacha_C, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

I saw a 12' fiber optic cable today at radio shack that was black, very thin and soft, the end of the wire was kind of jiggling when I moved it.

Is this cable any good or is it crap?

I didn't see the price.

Thanks

2. Brian_Tho

Brian_Tho Stunt Coordinator

It should be just fine. Go for it. Dont believe all the hype about monster cable products. Of course I could be wrong but to my untrained "Audiophile" ear there is no difference. Although I am a neophyte.

3. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Actually, I'd stay away. The RS optical cables I've used had poorly made jacks--they'd easily fall out of the back of my components if the wire was in any way bumped/touched (cats, move the component a bit, etc.). Didn't have any problem with the signal being passed when it stayed plugged in, but sure got tired having to get behind my gear to put the dang thing back in.

There are plenty of cheap optical cables out there. I'd recommend looking elsewhere.

(one source: www.accessories4less.com for Acoustic Research Pro; I've seen people post though about buying cables for $4-5 or so--maybe eBay, an electronics store, or a hardware store)

4. Rick_FL

Rick_FL Stunt Coordinator

I have a RS optical cable i've used for many years with my cd-changer. It has never fallen out, and it as been bent at a 45 degree angle since it is stuffed into an entertainment center. Its never skipped a beat

5. Ted Kim

Ted Kim Stunt Coordinator

The AR optical cables are available pretty cheaply at partsexpress.com.

The Outlaw optical cable is very good for its price of 19.95 + shipping.