Radio Shack A/V switch for Component??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ScottO, Mar 3, 2003.

1. ScottO

ScottO Auditioning

For budget component switching I was going to try the Radio Shack A/V method but I have question.

In order to use a Radio Shack A/V switcher for component I understand you must run component video cables from the DVD, or HDTV decoder, or gaming system, to the A/V switcher, but do I also have to use a component video cable going from the Radio Shack A/V switcher to the television, or can I get away with a regular composite cable?

Thanks for your help.

2. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Second Unit

Lee Bailey
    The same 'cable' type is used for component as well as composite signals. Good 75ohm interconnects. As for using a switcher box, what kind of bandwidth is it rated for? Do you happen to have a TV that has more than one component input? If so, I'd use 1 component connection per device feeding the TV.

3. ScottO

ScottO Auditioning

Actually I have two component inputs on my HDTV, but I have three devices (DVD, HDTV decoder and XBox) that I want to hook up to it, but on a budget which is why I was going to try the Radio Shack A/V switch solution.

My plan was to hook the HDTV decoder straight to one component input on the tv via component cables, but my question was whether with the remaining two, the DVD and Xbox. I will run a component cable from each device into the Radio Shack A/V switch, but I wanted to know if I must run another component cable from the A/V switch out to the last remaining component input on the tv?

It would obviously be less expensive if I can get away with using a composite cable going from the Radio Shack A/V out to the remaining component input on the tv.

Thank you

Scott

4. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Second Unit

Lee Bailey
    Yes, you will need another set of component cables for the connection from the switch to the TV. 3 sets of cables total for the DVD/XBOX/SWITCH setup.

You can use 3 composite cables to carry the component signals from the switch to the TV.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Component Cable = 3 Composite cables cut to identical length usually in a single bundle. So if you have 3 identical composite cables lying around, go for it.

But budget component cables go for $25-$35 at Radio Shack or the AR Pro brand at Best Buy.

Note: Radio Shack is now pushing the new 'Fusion' cables so the tried-and-true MegaCable sets are pushed to the back. Dig for them. They are good for the price. (Not as good as a custom cable made with Canare/Belden products, but you cant go too wrong for $25-$35).