Radio Shack 15-1994 Universal Remote: Quick Thoughts

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David A. Frattaroli, Jul 2, 2000.

1. David A. Frattaroli

David A. Frattaroli Stunt Coordinator

I bought this unit to replace a Sony RM-AV2000 that I recently sold on Ebay.
    I paid $29 at my local RS.
    It's a longish unit that feels great in the hand, is back-lit in blue and has a "soft-feel" texture to its' case.
    Build quality is great and more importantly: It does everything I need it to do. It doesn't do everything that the original remotes do, but it does all I need when I'm sitting in front of my set watching a flick.
    It's able to learn and reassign buttons and allows me to access my setup menu's on my Sony C600D, Denon 3200 and more. I can even change channel levels on the fly.
    There's a real good support forum at:
    www.stormloader.com/remotes that has a printable manual and info you don't get in the box.
    What a value this thing is. If you're looking for a remote
    that'll control all your gear and you don't need to re-position or resize your buttons. This is it.
    This one is an IR model but the signal is strong enough to control my RF Satellite receiver without even pointing at it!
    Check it out.

2. Jonathan Shaw

Jonathan Shaw Auditioning

Also check out http://www.remotecentral.com/ I think the price point and the feature set both help with this.
    The page that David provided has a lot of valuable information on how to move buttons/features on the remote, and how to get features in there that are not pre-assigned, without having to resort to the IR learning (using your old remote).

3. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I bought this remote about a month ago and am very happy with it. It takes some time to setup all of the advanced codes, but the above links are very helpful, as the manual doesn't even give you a clue as to half of the features of the remote. Here's another link with some advanced codes:
    http://www.starbase314.com/RemoteCodes.htm Maybe for Christmas...
    -Dan B

4. David A. Frattaroli

Oh, crap! I forgot about those macros. I need to get busy and set some up.

5. Dana N

Dana N Auditioning

Yup, me too. Fantastic remote! I now have one button control to switch all inputs between TV, SAT, DVD, and VCR -- exactly what the wife needed. I can access my TV set up screens now too, which my packaged Sony and Dish remotes couldn't do. I got mines last week at the local RS, $29.99 (reg $39.99)

6. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

i purchased one of these remotes (RS 15-1994) yesterday. but i CANNOT get my Sony dvd player to turn on. i've tried all the codes off of the site that David listed. i even went through and did the "searching for your code" instruction as the site mentioned but with no luck. i tried this procedure both ways (alternating slowly between power/device button AND power/play button). both of these procedures i did over 100 times EACH. no go. i tried to get onto the remote central website and have not been able to access it for a couple of days now. argh. anybody have any ideas??? HELP!!!!!
    patrick

7. Stephen Teffner

Patrick: If memory serves me right, you have to set your dvd player up as a LD player. Try remotecentral.com again I was just there and the info you're looking for is on the first page of the thread.

8. Dana N

Dana N Auditioning

9. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

stephen and dana,
    thanks so much for your responses. i tried remote central again and for some reason i cannot access that damn website!!! argh! i DID however, use dana's advice about moving the VCR key and BAM!!! it works!!!! by the way, thanks for the great faq site too. gonna work on some macros now. thanks again for both of your replies and time.
    patrick

10. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

i was wondering what you guys were using on the RS remote as your macro button(s)? just curious, as i'm a little unsure of which to use.
    patrick

11. David A. Frattaroli

Patrick, Dana's advice about reassigning your AUX1 or AUX2 button as a VCR and then applying the code is right on the money. That's how I got my Sony C600D DVD player to work. The code I used 0553.

12. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

ok guys, exactly what are the pro's and con's of the RS remote and the cinema 7. the RS sounded like such a great deal, that i jumped on it without doing any research. don't get me wrong, i love this remote (especially for being under 30 bucks). any comments?
    thanks,
    patrick

13. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

14. Dana N

Dana N Auditioning

Glad to help. The diffs on the C7 and 1994 are in the FAQ and on the remotecentral threads. I think all the 1994 owners are ecstatic with the backlighting and looks, and really not concerned with upgradeability, volume punchthru, and the seventh device control (which can be worked around).
    First use the 1S - 4S buttons for macros. The RS manual says these are for learning (from the original remote), but any key can be set to a macro, including these S buttons. I believe any key can be set to learn as well. Macros work in all device modes, so the S buttons make sense. After that you will need to choose carefully.
    I've set my S buttons similar to Ric (SAT, TV, DVD, VCR), and I've programmed my "shift" POWER sequence (P + POWER) for the "all equipment on/off" macro. Perhaps "shift" 1S-4S can be macro'd, but I haven't tried yet.
    ------------------

15. Jack Lee

Jack Lee Extra

Almost ANY button can be used for a macro.
    I've got macros prgrammed on 1s, 2s, 3s, 4s, POWER, Surround, and DISPLAY. (actually POWER is two macros-
    one for POWER, one for SHIFT - POWER)
    It's a great remote for a small HT system.
    Memory runs out really fast when you have
    a DSS or TiVo.

16. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

thanks again for the quick responses to my questions. you guys have been great. been poking around those sites and faqs and i'm going to keep the RS remote.
    regards,
    patrick

17. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

ok. ANOTHER question (problem). i've been trying to macro using the 1s button to turn on my tv, receiver, and dvd player while also switching my receiver to dvd/ld mode. when i push 1s everything turns on as planned. but when i push 1s again to turn those devices off, the receiver turns off, then turns back on! i've cleared this key a few times, then tried to re-input the sequences, but no luck. what am i doing wrong?

18. David A. Frattaroli

Patrick, I'm having almost exactly the same problem. It's almost like the button does one thing the first time you press it, and something else the next time you press it.
    How do you clear the Macro buttons? I'm having trouble doing that.

19. Dana N

Dana N Auditioning

If you have a Sony receiver like I do the input select buttons (TV, SAT, DVD, CD, ...) also powers on the receiver (if it is off) and selects the input, all in one button/code. I would guess that your macro is first toggling the receiver (on if off, off if on), then powering it on when the receiver input select is executed. You will have to program your "all power on/off" macro not using a receiver input select button.

20. Dana N

Dana N Auditioning

I encourage you to print out the FAQ, to become whizbang at programming the remote. I believe to clear a macro key you use the 994 code and don't key in a numeric code, just push the target key twice. E.g. P (blink blink) 994 1S 1S (blink blink)