Radio noise from Reciever due to Cable hookup

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Michael J K, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Michael J K

Michael J K Stunt Coordinator

I am getting a faint Radio Station noise through my receiver. It comes through on my VCR input and slightly less on the DVD input. It will go away if I unhook the coaxial cable from the wall. Do you think that if I run the coaxial through a power strip, like a Monster, that the problem will go away? Is there some other type of filter that I can use? I will not call Comcast for service and play that game! Thanks for the help.

2. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

What's the coax hooked to? Are you using it as your FM antenna on the receiver? Or is it hooked to the VCR and still causing this problem?

On an older receiver I had, A Yamaha Rx-V2092, I would get crosstalk between the tuner and the other inputs. No matter what input I chose, if the device hooked to it wasn't sending any sound I could hear whatever radio station the tuner was tuned to. It was nearly inaudible though, I'd have to increase the volume dramatically to make out the music.

So perhaps you're experiencing some crosstalk because the coax is increasing the signal strength to your tuner. It might go away when you provide an input signal. Try this, find a DVD with a very quiet scene, put it in an A/B loop, then turn the volume up real loud and see if the radio noise is still there. If it's not, then you'll see that it's not a problem. If it is, I'm afraid I don't have a solution for you.

3. Michael J K

I have the coax going from the cable box to the VCR, and then have RCA cables to the receiver. I am not using the coax for radio reception. When I unhook the cable from the wall, the sound goes away. The sound is only on the video inputs on the receiver. There is no problem with the tape inputs or the cd.

I watched a movie with real quiet sections. The sound is definitely there. Really annoying.

4. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Is it possible you just introduced a ground-loop into your system? That occurs for me with my subwoofer amp having a ground and then having a cable or satelite receiver plugged into the sytem.

What do you mean by "radio station noise"?

5. Michael J K

The "radio station noise" is exactly that: a faint sound of a radio station. If I turn it up real loud, it is some sort of Arabic or Indian music station. It is not one of my presets.

6. Michael J K

The "radio station noise" is exactly that: a faint sound of a radio station. If I turn it up real loud, it is some sort of Arabic or Indian music station. It is not one of my presets.

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Problems like this can be due to a multitude of reasons. Assuming there's nothing wrong with your receiver, then if the cabling was all supplied by Comcast, including what goes from the box to the various equipment, then you could contact Comcast and have them diagnose it.

My thinking is that you've got a problem with one of your cables and perhaps the shielding isn't making good contact with the terminations hence acting as an antenna. You can examine the cables, give them a good tightening by hand and then like 1/8" turn with a small wrench to see if that improves matters. Replacements are cheap. Also, if you've got twin-lead going to the antenna inputs, examine those connections. You can also go to Radio Shack and buy an inexpensive choke (looks like a little donut) and wrap the antenna wire around it.

Let us know how it turns out.