What's new

Radio interference from my SVS sub. (1 Viewer)

I posted this question to the SVS tech support, but I figured I would solicit advice over here until I heard back from them.
I'm picking up a radio station from my SVS 20-39PC. I'm not sure if it's because of the receiver, my electrical wiring or the SVS amp. A radio signal is played on all of my speakers only when the SVS is plugged in. If I turn the SVS on, I can hear the signal from the SVS driver as well, but if the power to the SVS is off I can only hear it on my other speakers. This only happens when the SVS is plugged in to the electrical outlet. I even tried it when it was plugged into a surge surpressor, and the radio signal still came through even though the surge surpressor was turned off. The SVS amp power cord does not have a ground on it and it is not polarized. I also plugged it into a UPS and the signal went away when the UPS was unplugged, but came back as soon as I plugged the UPS back into the wall. It seems like that would narrow it down to my home electrical wiring, but I'm not sure if the receiver or the SVS amp would have filtering components that aren't working properly. I have no way of testing another sub or receiver.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is extremely annoying to hear that signal come through every time the movie has a quiet moment. The radio signal isn't very loud and it isn't dependent on the volume of the receiver (Onkyo 575x).

The cable was the first thing that I had suspected. I initially used a Radio Shack Gold series audio shielded cable. Then I exchanged it for a RG-59 coax cable, both with the same results. Another strange thing, though, is that the radio signal only comes through the center and surround channels, then the sub if I turn it on, but not the main speakers.

Robert Fellows

Stunt Coordinator
Lawrence:
This is not an problem with your sub, it is a problem with your receiver. Perhaps you sub is exacerbating this, but it is simply an issue of cross talk with your receiver.
------------------
Bob
p.s.: This advice is worth exactly what you paid for it...

Lawrence, you didn't have any dental work done recently. did you? Just kidding...
Maybe you need to be a bit of a detective to iron the matter out. When a system exhibits RF issues it can be tough to know what caused it. The main thing is to get rid of it. I've never had this problem though I have heard of it. I'm sure others will chime in.
I'd suggest making sure that all of the basics are in order.
Cables in good shape making good contact with the jacks. And good grounds never hurt. Any ground loop issues? Try switching electrical outlets, removing any antennas. Any change when a cable TV or Sat wire (if present) is disconnected? I have seen RF traps for sale for cable TV but I have never used them. Is the house AC power known to be in good shape? What about connecting and disconnecting other components in the system....any changes? The sound coming only from different speakers kinda infers that the receiver or processor may be involved - low level signal stuff here. Any nearby radio stations? You get the idea - fiddle around for a few minutes trying to find a change in the problem. HTH.
Stan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks