1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Radio in your head?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Scott McGillivray, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray Supporting Actor

Hi Gang,

So, I got married a few months back and one of many things my wife and I have in common is that pretty much at any time, we will have some song in our head. Not the same song, mind you...that would just be strange!

I recall asking my dad if he had a song in his head all the time and he made it clear that he does not. I knew a counselor that was surprised when he learned early on that not everyone has a song in their head all the time.

What I find interesting is the incredible variety of songs that happen to be in my head. Sometimes it is due to a song that may be playing on a radio very quietly and I pick it up subconsciously. Other times, it may relate to an event or something someone says. Other times, I have no idea why a particular song is in my head.

Lately, my wife and I have had fun asking each other at random times "What's song is playing now?" and laughing at the weird songs we happen to have playing in our head.
    For me, just before I wrote this, it was the theme to "Magnum P.I." No idea why!

I am curious how many members have this same...what do I call it? Condition? Attribute?

2. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Lots of people have this. Another site I go on has a never ending thread where people pop on to post what song is currently playing. kind of neat, another was making MP# compilations of them. [​IMG]

for the record "Sketches Of Winkle - Ween" at the moment.... [​IMG]

3. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Apparently I have talk radio in my head. At least I assume that's what all those voices are...

[​IMG]

Joe

4. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    Joe, those voices are me! [​IMG]

I have all kinds of stuff playing in my head all the time. It varies from music to speeches to random thoughts. No biggie. And no, none of those voices are telling me what to do. So no schizophrenia issues here for all I know.

5. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    All the time, mostly classical music. For any given piece, I can "play" only the most recently heard rendition. So if I listen to a particularly awful version of, say, Beethoven's 5th, that's the version I will continue to hear when I play it in my head, missed notes and all. It's horrible. Even though I know how it's supposed to sound, I can't play it any differently. I have to dig through my CDs to find a preferred interpretation, and listen to it to "erase" (replace, really) the bad rendition with the good rendition.

Currently, I'm "playing" Pines of Rome by Respighi. (A very old version -- my favorite -- with Andre Previn conducting the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.)

Before that, it was the theme song to The Flintstones.

And before that, it was a "recording" of my daughter playing Scott Joplin's Maple Leaf Rag.

6. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    Just came from the Brunettes thread. Song still playing in my head - Alizee! [​IMG]

7. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Bryan

I was just about to post the same thing! [​IMG]

8. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Henry Gale
    I've heard that one sign of stress is, "That tune you can't get out of your head."
    This doesn't seem to be the problem here, most of you seem to be having a good time with your free radio.
    BTW...BMI and ASCAP are going to be in touch, they want their royalties. [​IMG]

I often get stuck with whatever someone at work is whistling.
    One of my coworkers is often doing "Beer Barrel Polka" (it's a Wurstfest thing) and we have a running joke because I'll ask him to do anything else.

9. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I'm hearing Crazy On You since I was listening to it earlier. Before, I was hearing In Too Deep and meant to listen to it at YT. I guess I will now.

10. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    Funny, I was thinking I had that one, but the recording I was thinking of is Muti and Philadelphia on EMI Angel. That's a rocking piece though.

I almost always have music going through my head. In my case, I tend to think it is just because I am a huge music fan. It is usually something I recently heard, which seems to be the case with most people. Most of the time I am completely unaware of it, until someone says "what song is that?" and I ask "what song"?

11. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    It's me doing all that. My apologies.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have an rocknroll oldies show in the morning. But in the afternoon I run a short southern gospel show before I leave for the day. So that's the music that sometimes gets stuck in my head. Imagine walking around all day with the Lewis Family "Going up to Gloryland!!!" over and over again? Yes...I'm unstable.

[​IMG]

12. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Cinematographer

"The only way to get furniture for less is to impooooort it yourself....

And you don't know how! Easy life furniture!"

13. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    Actually, a lot of times my wife will start singing a song and I'll be amazed because I had the same song going through my head at the time!

All-time worst song to have stuck in your head...that "Chicken Dance" song that gets played at wedding receptions. ARRGGGHHHH!!!

14. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Now that I think about it, when I was a senior in high school, I had a really dull seventh period class. It would just drag and drag. To pass the time, I would sometimes think The Joshua Tree in its entirety, note for note. I don't think it really sped up the clock any.

15. bobbyg2

bobbyg2 Supporting Actor

Bobby Geiser
    Godsmack - Voodoo is playing atm. I just listened to it earlier.

16. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
  17. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Cinematographer

Chris
    TonyD - you couldn't have missed the point more if you had tried. I can only hope that this is sarcasm of some sort.

To the point of the thread - All the time!!! Right now - Todd Rundgren "I Saw The Light". But it is because I saw him perform it live last night!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

18. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i read the first post and it drives me nuts when i get a song stuck in my head.

but when i saw the title, the Lucille Ball thing was the first thing i thought of before reading the thread.

19. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

This is what plays in my head all the time. No wonder I'm sleepy all the time.

Zzzzz