Radio from subwoofer

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Kevin*H, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Kevin*H

Kevin*H Stunt Coordinator

Have noticed what seems like a muffled radio station coming from my sub, any ideas how I can rectify this problem?

2. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Are you sure its radio? What exactly do you hear? And its _only_ appearing in the sub? All the time or just occasionally?

Disconnect the speaker wires and see if its still there. Assuming its a powered sub try plugging it in to a different outlet.

3. Jongyoon Lee

Jongyoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

That happened to my Altec Lansing computer speaker before. It drove me nuts, and I eventually sold the speaker. I think the voice coil of the woofer tune in certain frequency which happened to be local radio station.

4. Kevin*H

Kevin*H Stunt Coordinator

It is a powered sub, have used another power socket to no avail, it seems to be a talk radio station and to add insult to injury you just can't quite understand the conversation. It is noticable during quiet passages in the dialog of the program you want to hear!

5. Joe Mann

Joe Mann Auditioning

Try using a different cable for your sub. I don't know the math, but different length wires will pick up specific frequencies. You might also try wrapping the cable up or something to shorten it, I'm not sure if that will do anything though

6. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Disconnect the speaker wire(s) at the sub. If it goes away then its getting in over those wires and putting an RF trap in the line should be possible. But if its still there then its getting induced directly into the speaker internal wiring.

Grasping at straws you might try moving the sub around the room and see if anywhere the level goes down enough.

At that point I fear you're pretty well hosed unless the manufacturer can be interested to help.

7. Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne Stunt Coordinator

Try a surge protector with power conditioner in it. Monster makes one for about $40.00. If it is doing the same thing on a different plug it could be something with the ground in the house. More likely your 2 plugs you tried are on the same circuit. Also, are you using high lvl inputs of preamp inputs? high lvl passthru inputs will be less likely to pickup RF interference than a preamp signal.