radio cooming from tv speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Evan M., Dec 1, 2002.

1. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

i am sure this has been asked but i could not find anything using "search". i have an old g.e. t.v. in my bedroom (the good stuff is in the living room [​IMG]) we just moved into our new house and i am getting a radio stations signal through the tv while i am watching. it is actually quite loud at times and very distracting. the tv is hooked up through cable, not satelite or any other antenna. what can i do to get rid of this other than throwing it out the secong floor window [​IMG] ? thanks in advance.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

[​IMG]

3. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

bump

4. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

[​IMG]

5. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

why is nobody giving me an answer and just a smiley face? did i ask a stupid question. maybe i did so now i feel stupid...[​IMG] i can assure you that i am serious and would appreciate a real response. thank you in advance.

6. Jack Briggs

My apologies, Evan. I closed the thread two nights ago thinking you were pulling our leg. Since the phenomenon you report is actually happening, this thread is open for business. Please do not feel "stupid." If it's any consolation, I'm having a bout of guilt presently. [​IMG]

7. Stevie O

Stevie O Agent

Hey Evan,

Don't feel dumb - I had a similar problem where I was receiving a radio signal when I connected the "audio out" of my VCR to my Kenwood receiver

For some reason adjusting the tracking on my VCR fixed this, but at the expense of picture quality. Ended up by connecting VCR directly to TV

Also my wife gets radio interference on her computer speakers and a cheap answering machine she has connected up in her home office (different room from the VCR).

My guess is that the electrical wiring in our house is picking up signals and they are leaking onto certain pieces of equipment

Either that or I am absolutely freakin loopy!

Regards

Steve

8. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

LOL....no apologies needed guys, i know it may have seemed like an odd thing. imagine watching "friends" and seeing ross and rachel arguing while in the background robert plant is belting out "whole lotta love". maybe i'll just try to plug the tv in different outlets around the room to see if that works or maybe a surge protector or something. i appreciate the responces.

9. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Evan,

Is the volume of the radio interference constant, or does it move up and down as you raise and lower the TV volume?

I ask because you need to figure out where this signal is getting in. If it's coming in on the cable, I'd expect it to go up and down as you adjust the volume. Then you could call the cable company and get a tech out who might be able to help you.

If the TV itself is picking up the signal, and it's constant, you might try re-orienting the set, if possible given your layout, putting it against a different wall, changing which way the set faces, etc.

BTW, I lived in an apartment once where I picked up CB radio on my oven, so...weird stuff happens!

Jan

10. Jack Briggs

Jan, come on. Really? This is like people claiming to hear radio signals coming in over their brass beds or through gold-filled teeth. But I believe you; your posts in this section of HTF are too darn good and your credibility level is very high.

(When I was a teenager, I was talking to a buddy of mine over the telephone. Somehow, we could hear other voices faintly on the line. Turns out it was another telephone call taking place between two other parties, both of them women. Briefly, they were just loud enough that my buddy and I could make out their every word. They could hear us too. For about four minutes we were all introducing ourselves and gabbing. Then their voices faded into the electronic abyss.)

11. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I used to get some CB voices on my old Pioneer stereo. Whether I was listening to a CD or TV or Radio.. anything.

Then.. it stopped. And I read in the paper that some guy got busted by the FCC for broadcasting his CB too high and his neighbors complained. The guy was a ways from my house.. so I can't imagine what his neighbors were experiencing.

You wouldn't happen to live near a radio station's broadcast antenna, would you Evan?

12. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

I could pick up CB radio conversations all the time with my walkie talkies a few years ago. Also, our old cell phone picked up a LOT of conversations (crystal clear). Lots of times I'd just turn the thing on and I'd listen in on conversations. It was fun.... =D
    -ELmO[​IMG]

13. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

14. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I remember this occurred on an old TV I had.

~T

15. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

This kind of RF problem is frequently a tough nut to crack.

Most likely, the amplifier stage of the TV isn't well shielded. It is likely picking up a signal from a nearby radio tower and sending it to the speaker with the intended signal.

If you turn down your volume, does that interference reduce in volume, too? Or does it remain the same?

If the interference volume changes with the program volume adjustment, the interference is probably entering the set through the cable input... there may be a CATV amp outside at the CATV distribution that's picking this up... what happens if you unplug the CATV?

If the interference volume stays relatively steady when adjusting program volume, your set is probably picking the RF out of the air at the audio amp. Reorienting the set (turn left/right up to 90deg in either direction) may reduce or eliminate the noise. If reorienting your set DOES affect the noise, the problem is in your TV.

I feel your pain. I have a powered subwoofer that picks up country and western music whenever it is powered on. It might not be so bad if I LIKED C & W music...

-Scott

16. Jack Briggs

So, Jan, you stuck your head in the oven? Shades of Sylvia Plath! [​IMG]

17. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Nice sig, Jan. [​IMG] And my pic is real; I just didn't get to bring her home with me. ;-)
    Does the TV get radio broadcasts when it's not plugged into cable? If unplugging it works, an FM trap should work.
    When I was home for summer break during college years ago, my subwoofer used to pickup AM radio over the electrical lines, early in the morning. It woke me up sometimes... very annoying!
    And people with uber-high-powered CBs are awful. The signal bleeds into everything under the sun. At work when I was a kid someone had a 1000-watt CB in our parking lot. And a little HT setup was turned in the store. It was like he was sitting next to us screaming. (This was at a Radio Shack, so I also actually got the occasional customer pissed-off because I wouldn't sell them a CB over 5-watts!)

18. Jack Briggs

Bill, I was under the impression that your "find" at the HTF national meet is your SO. No?

19. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Bill, I didn't get to bring mine home, either. [​IMG] (Heck, I'd have settled for either one.)
    Evan, have you tried moving the set yet?
    Jan

20. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Sorry it took me so long to reply to my own post :b . I actually plugged the tv into a different outlet and the radio is not so loud. it is constant volume and does not get louder or softer while adjusting the tv's volume. The plug that it was plugged into was only a two prong and now it is into a three prong that i just changed over (darn older homes!!). not sure if this is what made the difference. I can't really move the t.v. too much because of the way the bedroom is set up, maybe i'll try it just to experiment. it is much quieter than it was though. The other weird thing is that the radio signal keeps playing for a few seconds even after the t.v. is turned off!! To tell you the truth I am starting to now think the house is &^%&* haunted!! The other day my wife and i swore we heard the piano playing downstairs and we were the only ones in the house!! Anyway, I'll let you all know if moving it helped. Thank you for all of the replies and stories, I'm glad I wasn't the only one[​IMG]