Radiant electric floor heating...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Dave Poehlman, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I was talking with a friend at work about home projects and he mentioned he's put electric radiant floor heating into his new bathroom.

It can go under pretty much any flooring surface.. carpet, tile, laminate, etc... with minimal surface prep.

He told me it can be put in large areas too, but I haven't been able to verify this. He also says it uses very little electricity.

Anyone have any experience with this stuff? If it's as nice as the brochures say, I think I've found my heating solution.

www.warmlyyours.com
    www.nuheat.com

2. BillSuneson

BillSuneson Stunt Coordinator

I've personally been involved with the installation of the nuheat pads into 4 or 5 bathrooms, and all I can say is that they are extremely easy and wonderful to use. (I loved stepping out of the shower onto a 75 degree floor.)

I know when we dealt with nuheat we were able to custom order the sizes of the mesh that we wanted, I also believe that you can get a remote control to change the temperature for those pads.

Good luck and have fun with the flooring.

Bill

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

How cool is that!!!

If this is for an HT I would suggest leaving it short of any equipment racks or monitors. You wouldn't want additional heat rising under either.

4. BillSuneson

The only thing i would be careful about would be installing that type of flooring under carpet

It could possibly create a fire hazard

It's really meant to go under hard material (ceramic tile, wood, granite....)

Bill

5. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

The warmlyyours stuff is like a mesh that you stick to the floor and apply a thin layer of thinset over. Supposedly it's supposed to be carpet safe.

The big expense seems to be in the sensor and thermostat.

However, reading on their site a little more, it sounds like for large areas... particularly in cool basements, it really would be better as a secondary source of heat to say, forced air.

I might call a distributor/installer locally and see what they say. The two houses I lived in before had forced air for a basement heat source and it didn't really cut it in the dead of winter.

6. BillSuneson

Dave,

I haven't dealt with anything other than the product from nuheat and it's the same type of thing as what you said the warmly yours stuff is, a thin wire mesh that is under a layer of thinset. No it's not meant to be a complete heat source for a room, rather a way to warm your flooring (such as in Bathrooms and kitchens where tile is mostly used.) in the dead of winter so you don't have to walk barefoot across a cold floor.

I think it would be a welcome addition to any home theater, but i would avoid it with carpet, the idea of current being run under padding and carpet kind of scares me a little.

Now that you have brought it up though, I'm thinking maybe in the new bar in the house will be a good place for this.

Bill