Radeon 8500 problem in DX games - FFXI, UT2004

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DaveGTP, Aug 1, 2004.

1. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Hey guys,
    I've got a Radeon 8500 and it is acting really funny in DirectX games. In FFXI (just bought) and UT2004 demo, I get weird planes and horizontal lines coming out of nowhere. I have tried driver update, DirectX update, playing with AA and other settings, to no avail. Any suggestions?

2. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I'm really beginning to think that this is a heat issue. I cleaned out the Radeon's fan - it had a lot of fuzz in it. I also underclocked it a few mhz using powerstrip. Now it seems to run better - it takes longer for the artifacts to show up.

3. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Definitely a cooling issue if you're not OCing it and have proper drivers...have you tried running the system with the side open and see if it still does that? You could always try an aftermarket cooling unit.

4. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I ran it side open for a bit, but it was still pretty hot when I did it. I think I will try to clean it with a can of air and see if that helps. The suggestion for an aftermarket cooling kit is a good one, I might try that if cleaning doesn't do the job.

5. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Cleaning the card didn't do any good. It still is acting funny, with crazy planar artifacts popping out of surfaces. I noticed that now C&C Generals it doing it too -whereas before it wasn't.

So much for my month trial of FFXI.

Any other thoughts? I knew I needed an upgrade, but we are buying a house this month (closing on Sep 3) so it's pretty bad timing to be doing an upgrade...