1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Radeon 7000 64mb or GeForce 2 MX400 64mb?????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Salvador, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

Radeon 7000 64mb or GeForce 2 MX400 64mb????? So which one??

I have a Radeon 32ddr and it works fine but i'm very disappointed with the lack of driver support/updates. I'm leaning more towards the MX400 since i KNOW that nvidia will release unified drivers every 3 months or so that significantly increase performance. The way i see it, the 7000 is just a glorified Radeon VE with ddr memory.

So what are your thoughts guys?

2. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

In my personal opinion, the Radeon board is a better choice for you. The GeForce2 MX400 is actually slower than the Radeon board, and the GeForce doensn't have both Hardware Motion Compensation and Inverse Discrete Cosine Transform (IDCT) necessary to really lower CPU cycle usage while decoding DVD movies.

3. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

If you already have a Radeon 32MB and hate the support, well its not going to be any different on a 64MB Radeon. Now with the GeFORCE2 MX, don't...just don't. Take some more money and atleast get a GeFORCE3 Ti200.

4. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

5. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

6. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

7. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

hmmm. Initially i thought thought the mx400 was at least marginally better than the original mx. But after reading that article the two are virtually the same.

The radeon 7000 will perform slighly better at higher resolutions than the mx400 but the mx400 will do better with lower resolutions @ 16bit. DVD playback isn't a consideration and the 7000 doesn't even have a T&L engine. Plus, i'm still pissed with the ATI driver situation. So i'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger on the mx400.

Bottom line is i really have a TIGHT budget to work with. It's not my money but all things being considered, i'd rather take a glorified geforce2 MX than a glorified radeon VE.

8. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

Actually should i just go with the nforce chipset?

ASUS MOTHERBOARD SOCKA DDR NFORCE420 is what i have in mind.