rack near water heater

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by AaronCushing, Feb 10, 2004.

1. AaronCushing

AaronCushing Agent

I'm in the phase that includes basic room layout & sell the whole "HT Necessity Concept" to the wife phase of my basement reno. So pretty early in the whole process -- the basement is nearly totally unfinished. The way things are looking right now, places my equipment rack pretty much immediately adjacent to the electric hot water heater. I'll separate the 2 with a wall, but would more than studs & drywall be enough to not get any interferance from that 240V line? Should I get a chunk of steel plate to put in there too? Thanks for any suggestions.

aaron

2. Robt_Moore

Robt_Moore Stunt Coordinator

Aaron:

You really don't have one 240V line--it's really 2-120V lines; just different phases. You shouldn't have interference.

I would be more concerned about when the water heater eventually fails (and they all do). When I worked in a lumberyard, the plumbers liked to tell stories about exploding water heaters.

Maybe you could post a rough layout and let the forum help you place the equipment?

Bob

3. AaronCushing

AaronCushing Agent

Thanks Bob. All I have right now is graph-paper sketches done on the john [​IMG] I just haven't had a second to either drop them in to my "home architect" software, or even scan them. But it's sitting here staring at me, so I'll try to get that taken care of today. Thanks again.

4. AaronCushing

AaronCushing Agent

Ok, so I've got 2 screenshots from my home architect "software":

(sorry, I'm still ramping up my post-count before I can add a pic...you know the drill)

option one:
    h t t p://w w w.drumcharacter.com/imgs/cushbasement1.gif

option two:
    h t t p://w w w.drumcharacter.com/imgs/cushbasement2.gif

The room in question is 12x20, with an 8' ceiling. My intent is to build out the exterior walls with 2x3 and add more fiberglass and double drywall on RC. Same on the ceiling, and the center wall will be insulated and double-drywall on RC. The floor will get plastic, 2x3 sleepers, insulation between, and plywood on top. Windows will be treated with blackout shades. We want to include a (modest) wetbar/snack counter, which is shown on the drawings. Notice the vacant area at one end of the theater room, which could become a nice step-in equipment closet. The rear couch (or whatever seating we get) will be on a 8" riser.

Equipment is currently non-existent. I'm hoping for an X1, or it's soon-to-be-released sister. Aside from that, I don't even have any gear spec'ed out yet. 7.1 though, and probably shakers on the couches, along with a "real" sub.

I like things about both options though. I like the idea of having a permanent screen, instead of needing a pull-down in front of the window. But I like having the couches at the door end, although I'm not sure I want my speakers firing straight at the guest room. With the screen at the door end, I'd have to get some Maggies to hang flat on the wall there ...I'd LOVE to get Maggies all around, but $$ is scarce at this point. I'm not real fond of having to crawl inside the closet to change a disc, so I'd like at least some of the gear accessible from the room.

Forgive me, I;m kind of rambling here. I'll stop now, and I CERTAINLY welcome everyone's feedback. Thanks.