Rack Installation

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Lenvardo, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Lenvardo

Lenvardo Auditioning

When mouonting your equipment in a rack is there a certain position each component should be in? I have 4 shelves in my AV cabinet. Should the receiver go on the bottom or top shelf? What about the VVCR, DVD player, Cassete deck, etc?
    THanx.

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Hi and welcome!

The only restriction you have is the heat the will be coming out of the top of your receiver. The manual for it will tell you the recommended air space needed. Usually about 4".

Some people install a fan on the backs of their racks to suck the hot air that is on top of the receiver out the back. (You might have to cut a hole). I have a standard computer fan attached to a Radio Shack AC/DC variable voltage regulator. It is plugged into the extra AC socket on the back of my receiver, but I turned the DC voltage down to 9 volts so that I cannot hear the fan noise.

Glenn.

3. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

The cardboard backing on my shelf there was a little hole you could punch out and then a large rectangular piece. I had to punch out the large piece to stop my DBS receiver from overheating and locking up. So just make sure you have good ventilation. Mine was enclosed, if you have a open one and have some space in around the vents of your equipment you should be fine.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Len,

First, welcome to the Forum!

Regarding placement, it makes sense to place the source components that require personal contact – VCR, DVD player etc. – to be placed where you can reach them easiest – which would generally be from waist to chest level. Other equipment that you never have to lay a hand on - the receiver, amplifiers and so forth – those can be placed either above or below the source components.

As to wheter the receiver should go on the bottom or top shelf, there are both advantages to both. At the bottom, you can use shorter speaker cables. However, the receiver’s heat will rise to the equipment above.

At the top, there is more clutter with all the speaker cables hanging from the receiver, plus it makes for a hop-heavy rack.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I'm a big fan of the "Receiver at the bottom" placement for all the reasons Wayne pointed out.