What's new

Rachel Weisz turns down 'The Mummy 3' (1 Viewer)

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
Maybe if the director had been on speed and done a million editing cuts, the Mummy Returns would have been more respected here. As it was, it was an enjoyable(imo) summer movie that showed 2 hot women fighting.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Maybe if the director had been on speed and done a million editing cuts, the Mummy Returns would have been more respected here.
This is a really patronising comment, given that the innumerable falws in The Mummy Returns couldn't have begun to be repaired by different editing! :angry: The script was jaw-droppingly bad - lots and lots of crappy dialogue, and some of the characters should have been (re)written out, the moment they were conceived. People pop up for no reason in totally bizarre places. Some of the performances were shockingly bad (especially the kid. I know hes just a kid, but come on), and the special effects were embarrassing. The Scorpion King is an all-time low for ILM. Their worst work ever. A couple of the explosions from the original Star Wars looked more convincing!
Let me just bring up the script again, because boy, was it a stinker! : "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" :angry: I actually shouted out "Are you fu*&ing kidding me?" when I first saw this!

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed the film for what it was. A summer popcorn flick meant to take you on a fun ride. That's what I expected and that's what I got. Not a great film, and I recognize the flaws. Didn't matter to me. I wasn't expect a great films. I wanted to escape for 2 hours and just have fun. That's what the film gave me.

I personally judge each film differently. You have films that are more serious and dramatic. You have films that are for pure fun. I wouldn't judge Mummy Returns in the same light I'd judge Gosford Park.

Ken Leggatt

Stunt Coordinator
I actually liked the second one better the second time I saw it. Must have been the system in my living room :)
The special effects were pretty brutal but I wasn't expecting a life changing movie, just good time.
I am also looking forward to the Scorpion King. The movie is not even out yet so saying it sucks is just guessing. I think at the very worst it will be an entertaining summer flick.

Gruson

Second Unit
I also liked the second better when I saw it at home on my system :)
Where else can she make $3 million!?!?!
TAKE THE ROLE!!!
They are fun movies.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The Scorpion King is an all-time low for ILM. Their worst work ever. A couple of the explosions from the original Star Wars looked more convincing!
Am I missing something? I thought TSK wasn't out until sometime in April?

And Rachel said early in the filming of "Mummy Returns" that she would not be returning for a third go.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
The Scorpion King is an all-time low for ILM. Their worst work ever. A couple of the explosions from the original Star Wars looked more convincing!
Well, ILM does have a lot of different teams, some not as good as others. Certainly it was hit and miss, and looks like they were doing the effects while on a coffe break. ILM's best teams work on AOTC and the prequels, as well as the bigger name projects.

I think you meant Mummy Returns, not TSK......didn't you Paul?

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
All of the other special eefects in The Mummy Returns (except theat dreadful wall of water) were great!
What about Rock as the scorpion at the end? That was the worst CG character I've ever seen in a blockbuster film. I've seen CG monsters in Xena that were more convincing. I was embarrased for the filmmakers at how bad It was. When I saw that on the screen I was looking around the theater like it was some sort of joke, I expected the entire crowd to bust up laughing at how bad it was.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
What about Rock as the scorpion at the end?
Errr... you might want to read either the sentence before the one you quoted, or the sentence after. Both explain that I thought that particular special effect was the worst I had EVER seen. Did you just read that one line? It's truly bizarre that someone could read a single sentence of a post, and then reply, questioning the content? :confused:
To paraphrase, I said that the Rock/Scorpion was the WORST special effects work ILM had EVER done.

Robert Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Ash Williams wrote:
The Mummy Returns said:
Based on what I've seen so far, the world would have been better off if it were not made at all. :) Well, it might be able to pass for a TV pilot for one of those adventure series in syndication these days. It's definitely done in that style. But if I wouldn't watch it for free on TV, obviously I wouldn't pay to see it, so count me out.
As for The Mummy 3, it depends on what it's about, and whether it looks like it's worth watching, once we get to see some of it. I think that two movies in the series is enough, though, and it's hard to imagine what the movie would be like without Rachel Weisz--the core set of characters is one of the main draws of the series. Then again, I thought her character was kind of boring in the sequel, compared to how charming she was in the first movie. It's nice that she was portrayed as having matured over the years, but that's no excuse for being so much less interesting. Because she was resurrected or made undead in the second movie, perhaps she could be the new Mummy or something like that.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Whatever happened to "leaving the audience wanting more" rather than "beat 'em to death with sequels until our merchandise stops selling"?

Not referring to The Mummy, mind you, but I think more movies would be listed in the "classic flick" category if they weren't tainted by poorly made sequels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks