Rachel Weisz turns down 'The Mummy 3'

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_D, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Rachel Weisz has turned down $3 million to do the third Mummy flick. Thank God! The second one sucked ass. Good on you for not sacrificing your dignity Rachel. [​IMG]

2. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

Sequel syndrome strikes again. When will they ever learn.

3. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

She should've turned down the first Mummy.

4. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

This comes as no surprise, as she said shortly after that last one that she wasn't interested. If the producers of this franchise had any brains, they would have spun off the Ardeth Bay character into his own action franchise instead of The Scorpion King.

If they want to continue The Mummy franchise, write Weisz out, and make O'Connell and Bay into some sort of action series tandem (like Rush Hour, Lethal Weapon, etc). Of course, that's been done to death, so what would be the point then?

Bottom line: The Mummy 3 will be a disaster if it ever gets greenlit.

Regards,

Dan

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

6. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I read that she wouldn't do a third film as well. I personally think this sucks, I really enjoy the first two films and would not have minded a third, just to make it a trilogy, but without Rachel it won't work.

7. Terrell

Terrell Producer

3 million dollars is all they offered her? I know she's not Tom Hanks or Tom Cruise, but I thought they'd at least offer her twice that.

8. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I thought Scorpion King was the third Mummy installment.

BTW, havent and dont plan on seeing 1 or 2

9. Ash Williams

Ash Williams Second Unit

The first one was not TOO bad, but the second made wish I had never seen it. The whole series is just a bad Indiana Jones rip off. As for The Scorpion King, well, they would be better off making it direct to video.

10. Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G Second Unit

I enjoyed the first The Mummy, but the only good thing about the second one was being able to watch Rachel Weisz ( [​IMG] ). Take her out of the equation and that leaves no reason to see another sequel.

11. Terrell

Terrell Producer

You think Mummy Returns was bad, wait till you see the spinoff, The Scorpion King. Ugh!

12. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I never was a big fan of either but I guess Universal needs to keep the big profits they make on these movies going, The movie (if greenlighted) would still make its money without Weisz, it just depends if people are sick of the Mummy movies yet. But judging on the second film's number i'm guessing people still dig it.

Did you see The Scorpion King, Terrell??

13. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Nick, the answer is no. After seeing the trailers and seeing the Rock in it and in the Mummy Returns, I have no desire to. I've seen B movies that looked better. I know, see the movie first then judge. I normally do just that. But no thanks in this case. I can smell this steaming pile from a mile away.

14. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

I enjoyed the two movies. They're great when you feel like watching mindless total entertaiment.

Sometimes, you need to watch movies with no message at all.

15. Rollo Lee

Rollo Lee Agent

The first Sommers Mummy film was as perfect as modern popcorn blockbusters get these days. Perfectly paced, clever ideas, excellent chemistry, gorgeous visuals that managed to avoid the otherwise de rigeur heavy-handed MTV crap, and a real sense of fun.
    It's a shame that the second film was so uneven and had such awful special effects. The chemistry was off as well. It felt too forced. The only part that I really enjoyed was the flashback to Egypt and how they tied it to the events in the first film. Very clever.
    At the same time, I wouldn't mind seeing a third Mummy film at all. There is so much more they could do and the loss of Rachel Weisz is hardly a death blow.
    The Scorpion King trailers don't get my hopes up. The Rock looks like an utter tool. He should've done The One instead. [​IMG] Would've been a better match to his very contemporary looks and delivery.

16. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Considering that a Mummy 3 would be a guaranteed $150 million domestic payday, it seems they could offer the LEADING LADY a bit more than TWO PERCENT???
    I know she's not the MAIN draw of the Mummy flicks, but surely "character continuity" should be worth a better payday.
    Plus, she's a better actor than is Brendan Fraser. [​IMG]

17. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

18. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm
    I respectfully have to disagree with some of you guys here.
    I saw and bought the first Mummy, thought it was OK for a mindless action flick, and good HT workout material as well, but it lacked something. It was as if it couldn't decide whether it was as serious as, say, Indiana Jones, or a comedy, or just special effects action, and in this it suffered. Mummy returns, on the other hand, had no such problems, it was just special effects action, fairly well executed, and nothing else. It also had more shots of Rachel Weisz [​IMG]. Although I didn't think I would, I actually liked Mummy returns better.
    Oh well, just goes to show how different we all are...

19. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I'd love to see a Mummy 3. Loved the 1st, did not like the second, but if she were to return and they did a decent job at it, I'd see it and buy the DVD.
    She a hottie[​IMG]
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

20. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter