What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
One of the greatest, if somewhat overlooked, stars of Golden Age Hollywood was Robert Mitchum. He rose to prominence during the 1940’s for a pair of successful film noirs for RKO Radio Pictures, Jacques Tourneur’s Out of the Past and Edward Dmytryk’s uncompromising Crossfire (both 1947); he would also receive the only Oscar nomination of his career for his supporting role in William A. Wellman’s The Story of G.I. Joe (1945) during this time. Fresh off of those successes, Rachel and the Stranger is an interesting anomaly in Mitchum’s career, if for the reason that it was a western – that part was not too surprising, since he had appeared in several – that had him playing an atypical character compared to his previous performances. Warner Archive has given the movie is home video debut featuring the film restored to its original version.

Rachel and the Stranger (1948)...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A childhood favorite of mine that I rated higher than you're 3.5, but, otherwise I agree with your review and happy you pointed out that this is the first opportunity for those like me to finally see the uncut version of the movie. A great looking and sounding Blu-ray!

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
I'm going to have to get this one as William Holden is my favorite actor and I'm trying to collect all of his films. Plus this is a movie I've really liked in the past and who can pass up the restored version? Not to take anything away from Mitchum who (as I recall) was the favorite of both Siskel and Ebert. Recently I read that he was the first choice for the role of Sgt. Milton Warden in 1953's From Here to Eternity, but Howard Hughes would not release him from his RKO contract.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks