What's new

Rachael's recipe for covered music dishes (1 Viewer)

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Now, it seems like Pete Seeger sang everything anyone ever wrote, but a couple I enjoyed were Masters of War {okay, another Dylan, but it's so eeeeeeeeeasy!} with Simultaneous Japanese Translation :laugh: and Clouds which he altered to suit himself, with an explanation.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Great thread.

I know this was brought up way back in April, but Sarah McLachlan covered Donovan's "Wear Your Love Like Heaven" on her Solace album.

Anyway, here's my contribution:

The Sundays – Wild Horses
The The – Your Cheatin’ Heart
John Cale - Hallejulah
Liz Phair – I’m a Believer
Cowboy Junkies – Sweet Jane
Elvis Costello - Bama Lama Bama Loo
Johnny Cash - Sunday Morning Coming Down
The Band – I Shall Be Released
James Taylor – You’ve Got a Friend
Urge Overkill – Girl, You’ll Be a Woman Soon
Dave Edmunds - Girls Talk
10,000 Maniacs – Because the Night
Jimi Hendrix – The Star Spangled Banner
Lemonheads – Mrs. Robinson
John Prine – City of New Orleans

Jon

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Jon, you have some good suggestions. Some of those have been forgotten by moi thus far. I could do those Cowboy Junkies' songs but I have a new EP of covers by them. I like the older covers better, really, hmnn?

I love Dave Edmunds' Girls Talk....forgot about that one. The Band did few covers, forgot about that one and, of course, have it in atleast 2 formats. I definitely have The Lemonheads and forgot about that one, I think it's on IT'S A SHAME ABOUT RAY. I heard it on College Radio years ago.

I just say no to JT's You've Got A Friend. I've just heard that song too many times over the years...more so long ago... I could find a more exotic cover by him with some effort or his bro, Livingston, that I also like beaucoups.:)

I have the majority of your list. I've been spreading out the Sweet Jane and Wild Horses covers out...yeah, I have The Sundays too. I don't have Urge Overkill, nice name! I remember that song from the prehistoric ages.;)

Steve Elias

Stunt Coordinator
Two more that I don't recall on anyone's list:

Minor Threat covering Steppin' Stone. The already brief Monkees song in less than half the time!

Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen covering Hot Rod Lincoln. This is a fun cover of a classic, old-time country song.

By the way, the Elvis covers I mentioned earlier are on the Honeymoon In Vegas soundtrack which, as I recall, was comprised mostly of uninspired performances with the possible exceptions of John Mellancamp's cover of Jailhouse Rock. Maybe it's worth picking up if you can find it ina 99 cent bin.

One last thing: Was Devo's cover of I Can't Get No Satisfaction on one of the lists? I apologize if I'm repeating at this point.

-Steve

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Steve, you sparked me with John Mellancamp. I don't have that one by him but I do have UNDER THE BOARDWALK. Of course I have Commander Cody and had forgotten about them. I have another version of Stepping Stone that will appear on the next recording. Thaty's my least favourite Devo song and I'm gonna give it a miss.:)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
2 more finished....

COVERED WAGON

1. Rush - Summertime Blues
2. Foghat - Maybelline
3. Love - My Little Red Book
4. Paul Weller - The Bottle
5. Santana - Well All Right
6. Dave Edmunds - Girls Talk
7. Al Kooper - Honky Tonk
8. Savoy Brown - Pretty Woman
9. Super Session - You Don't Love Me
10. Booker T. & The M.G.'s - Medley: Sun King/ Mean Mr. Mustard/ Polythene Pam/ She Came In Through the bathroom window/ I want You (She's So Heavy).
11. Fine Young Cannibals - Suspicious Minds
12. 801 - You Really Got Me
13. Rush - Heart Full Of Soul
14. The Untouchables - (I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone
15. Lemonheads - Mrs. Robinson
16. Elvis Costello - Strange
17. Paul Weller - All Along The Watchtower
18. Frank Zappa - Stolen Moments
19. The Band - I Shall Be Released
20. T-Bones - Shangri-La

COVERED CLOSET

1. Pat Benatar - You Better Run
2. George Thorogood And The Destroyers - It Wasn't Me
3. Buddy Miles - Dreams
4. Juicy Lucy - Midnight Rider
5. Junior Brown - Foxy Lady
6. Earth, Wind & Fire - Got To Get To Get You Into My Life
7. Musiq - Miss You
8. Edgar Winter's White Trash - I Can't Turn You Loose
9. Ziggy Marley - Drive
10. Jason Mraz - I Melt With You
11. Planet Patrol - It Wouldn't Of Made Any Difference
12. The Move - So You Wanna Be A Rock And Roll Star
13. Tina Turner - Back Where I Started
14. George Thorogood And The Destroyers - Move it on Over
15. AC/DC - Baby Please Don't Go
16. Juicy Luicy - Mr. Skin
17. Steppenwolf - Snow Blind Friend
18. Wild Colonials - It's Not Unusual
19. Livingston Taylor - Bluer Than Blue

I have so many unused recordings pulled already that I'm gonna make 1 or 2 more discs.

Keep suggestions coming. I's likes the sparks!:)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Jon, I realized I used those Wild Horses on an earlier edition already... The Cowboy Junkies will be comin' around the bend, again, I'm sure.:)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I threatened to make more discs and now I've made good on the threat.

ALL COVERED

1.The Stranglers - All Day And All Of The Night
2. Johnny Winter - Jumpin' Jack Flash
3. U2 - Helter Skelter
4. Webb Wilder - Rock 'N Roll Ruby
5. Buddy Miles - Don't Keep Me Wondering
6. The Meters - People Get Ready
7. Wild Colonials - Brokedown Palace
8. Rush - For What It's Worth
9. Boz Scaggs - Loan Me A Dime
10. Dr. John - St. James Infirmary
11. John Lennon - Stand By Me
12. The Ventures - Secret Agent Man
13. Mr. Ed Jumps The Gun - Wild Thing
14. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Fire
15. Ben Folds - In Between Days
16. Bonnie Raitt - Runaway
17. Dwight Yoakam - Long White Cadillac
18. The Pixies - Winterlong
19. Tom Rush - Rainey Day Man
20. New Riders Of The Purple Sage - Hold On It's Coming

GET COVERED

1. The Ventures - Green Onions
2. Luis Cardenas - Runaway
3. Eric Clapton - After Midnight
4. Billy Joel - I'll Cry Instead
5. The Byrds - Wasn't Born To Follow
6. Paul Weller - Early Morning Rain
7. Edgar Winter's White Trash - Back In The U.S.A.
8. Concrete Blonde - Fire
9. John Cougar Mellencamp - Cold Sweat
10. Susan Tedeschi - Little By Little
11. Eva Cassidy - Wade In The Water
12. Bonnie Raitt - No Way To Treat A Woman
13. Buckwheat Zydeco - On A Night Like This
14. The Animals - Boom Boom
15. Rolling Stones - Poison Ivy
16. Alex Skolnick Trio - Detroit Rock City
17. Small Faces - Wicked Messenger
18. Joe Cocker - The Letter
19. Beck, Bogert & Appice - Superstition
20. Pat Benatar - Don't Let It Show
21. Edgar Winter - Tobacco Road
22. The Ventures - Out Of Limits

....I found my Stones' Poison Ivy single!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
...no more suggestions folks? Pat Benatar and U2 were good ones and easily found in my collection. I must have alot more covers to remember...?:)

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Do you have Beatles For Sale? Lots of people do Bs covers and forget that they started out, more or less, as a Skiffle band, playing the R&B greats at an excessively rapid speed. ;)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I have all the Beatles save the greatest hits packages. I used a few Beatle songs by the actual Insects along the way already. I'm gonna make 1 or 2 discs more in the coming week. I started another last night. I could add a track like Twist And Shout, eh? Do I have the Beatles, indeed!;) :) Does Carter have pills?;)

Steve Elias

Stunt Coordinator
I'd offer more suggestions if I could remember any. You don't want the Pretenders/UB40 cover of I Got You Babe, do you? For that matter, UB40's cover of Neil Diamond's Red,Red Wine is still out there. I also suppose you could put together a couple of albums of covers by Dwight Yoakum as most of his recorded songs seem to be covers. That said, you've already selected one of my favorites - Long White Cadillac. Streets of Bakersfield isn't a cover, is it? Do you have or want REM's cover of Love Is All Aroundd or The Lion Sleeps Tonight or Toys in the Attic? Didn't Metallica cover Thin Lizzy's Whiskey in the Jar recently?

I don't necessarily recommend all of the above covers, I'm just remembering them. Besides, unlike the rest of you with your thousands of CDs and records, I'm playing with a "junior deck" of 650 CDs and albums. ;)

Good hunting.

Steve

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
How'bout Rod Stewart/Elton John "Country Comfort"?

Guadalcanal Diary/Beatles "And Your Bird Can Sing"

Hearts live cover of Zep's "Battle of Evermore" or their live cover of Elton's "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters"

or, if you can rip it from the dvd- Bowie"s cover of his Iggy Pop collaberation, "Sister Midnight" off of his new Reality Tour DVD.

OOH, OOH!!! Don't forget Robert Plant's exceedingly cool cover of Jimi's "Hey Joe" from his Dreamland disc.

Dizzy-Jim

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I always preferred Poco's version of 'Go and Say Goodbye' to the original.

Did anyone mention 'Mr Tambourine Man' and 'Blowin' in the Wind' (Byrds, Peter Paul and Mary)?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Jimmy, I have all the 60's and 70's Rod Stewart albums and have been thinking about plucking a few songs there. COUNTRY COMFORTS is under consideration but I like other tunes better. I've used Rod a few times already even if some of the times was with Jeff Beck Group and more recently with the Small Faces cover of Dylan's WICKED MESSENGER. Some of my favourite Stewart covers are DIRTY OLD TOWN, HANDBAGS AND GLADRAGS, Lennon's JEALOUS GUY (Faces), and Dylan's ONLY A HOBO.

Guadacanal Diary...hmnnn, I do have a vinyl by them now that you remind me of it. I can't remember which one though. I'll have to go look. It's been on the shelf a long, long time.

Oh, Jimmy, that other Jimmy didn't write HEY JOE. I forgot who did right off hand. That tune is one of the most covered songs of the 60's. I was going to throw n a version of it somewhere, sometime.:)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Steve, I have UB40's SUPERSTITION pulled to use. I love R.E.M.'s Dead Letter Office. If this is their level of "throw-away" material, give me DLO numero dos por favor! However, I won't be using the song TOYS IN THE ATTIC. A roomie nearly drove me to murder with that Aerosmith album. It's left a bad taste in my ear...I get P'ed all over again every time I hear that song, unfortuneatly!

Did you not look at my track listings for the 2 Kuntry Kovered discs I made? That name Dwight Y. shows up a few times, si? I love his album of covers. I like him as an actor too...:)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Marvin, I have The Byrds out to use but haven't decided what Dylan to use yet. I don't think I've heard that Poco cut...? I really like the tune though. Most of my Poco albums are the earlier ones, mostly. Poco didn't do many covers. That might not really be a true cover since a BS member was in Poco. I'd definitely use it though if I had it. I's likes zee tune and my recordings are for entertainment not scholarlyness... I'm gonna check my Poco albums though, might get lucky? :)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Christopher, I don't have that one but I'm sure I'd like it. Great tune! I did use the Mott The Hoople version already so I haven't missed the song. :)

I finished another disc this morn. This one is of more laid back music. Thus the title...

EASILY COVERED

1. Claire Martin - Riverman
2. Joe Cocker - Just Like A Woman
3. Dr. John - Candy
4. Wild Colonials - Don't Explain
5. Van Morrison with Georgie Fame - Who Can I Turn To
6. Eva Cassidy - Ain't No Sunshine
7. Diana Krall - Almost Blue
8. Dakota Station - Night Life
9. Style Council - Who Will Buy
10. Terry Callier - Do It Again
11. Houston Person - What's Going On
12. Christy Baron - Spooky
13. Bonnie Raitt - The Glow
14. Boz Scaggs - Love Letters
15. Anthony Wilson Trio - I Want You ( She's So Heavy)
16. Cyndi Lauper - Unchained Melody

Anybody else burnin a disc or two??? You might be suprised what you might uncover in your collection, or elsewhere...?;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks