What's new

Rachael's recipe for covered music dishes (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Marty, how many versions of a single song did you put on your's. Lord knows how many versions you could get for some of those ditties, like, say, Wichita Lineman, or a couple of the other Webb biggies? I could imagine about 21 covers of BY THE TIME I GET TO GALVESTON! Bah-Bah owes so much to dear, departed Laura! Best wishes!:)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
So which songs do you think have been covered the most? I heard Louie, Louie by the Kingsman (I think) is the most played because of the easy guitar riff, (there's a great story 'bout that song too), and Yesterday by the Beatles was considered the most covered many years ago, but do you think there are others that have been re-done more often? Gene

John Watson

Screenwriter
gene, I've always heard that "White Christmas" was the most covered song, but I would guess that "Yesterday" is way up there too

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Christmas songs would probably take the top five spots on the list. Happy Birthday must be the most sung/played song there is too. But as for "popular" songs, I heard the Yesrerday thing about 25 years ago and was wondering what, if anything, has surpassed it.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I've come across many, many versions of Yesterday in my own collection. I believe I've used 2 so far. Marvin Gaye's is by far my favourite. I finished another disc last night and had a little space at the end. I nearly put Marianne Faithful's Yesterday but settled on her version of the Stones As Tears Go By. Jazz artists also embrace Yesterday and other Insect tunes heartily. I haven't counted versions of Yesterday but I bet I've noticed close to 10 whilst making these recordings.

It just amazing how much the Beatles have been covered in general, even many of their "lesser" songs. I could of, and considered, making a disc or two of just Beatles' covers. I decided I'd enjoy the discs more mixed up though. I've run across 3 versions of Savoy Truffle so far, for example....

Wild Thing used to be a cover staple. It's so easy that even I could play it! Now that's E-Z!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I finished another one, say hay. I'm calling it Relatively Covered:

1. Booker T. & The MG's- The Beat Goes On
2. Jimi Hendrix- Wild Thing
3. Johnnny Winter- Johnny B. Goode
4. Mott The Hoople- Darkness Darkness
5. Nirvana- The Man Who Sold The World
6. ToriAmos- Heart Of Gold
7. Fun Lovin' Criminals- I'm Not In Love
8. Cheap Trick- Day Tripper
9. Humble Pie- I Don't Need No Doctor
10. Brian Auger & Julie Tippetts- Rope Ladder To The Moon
11. Joe Cocker- Feeling Alright
12. Chicago Transit Authority- I'm A Man
13. Alex Chilton- Jumpin' Jack Flash
14. Dr. John- Thank You (Falletin Me Be Mice Elf Again)
15. Jeff Beck Group- Got To Have A Song
16. Jimi Hendrix- Hey Joe
17. Joan Jett- Dirty Deeds
18. Hector Qirko Band- Midnight Hour
19. Marianne Faithful- As Tears Go By

The next one will be my last.....

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Forgot about that one. I think every $12 guitar came with a copy of the sheet music for it! Anyway, I finished my "guilty pleasures" pastry full of fluffy stuff from the Carpenters, Olivia Newton-John, the 3 or 4 disco songs I like and I even put "You Lite Up My Life" by Debbie Boone on it so I could have some fun skipping over it when it came up! Was going to add some bubble gum (you know, the teeny bopper stuff from the late 60's to early 70's) but found enough of it for a whole new disc. Now I have to come up with a label that will hide my embarrassment. Something like "Conway Twitty Sings Greek Love Songs". That should do it. BTW Rachel, I'm using an H/K CDR 20 easy bake oven. What kind of cooker are you melting vinyl with?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Gene, I'm using an 80's Denon turntable that I got at the flea market for squat because it didn't work. The new belt cost me about a dollar! I outfitted it with a Sure V-15 type 3 cartridge which now has a type 4 needle. I'm recording to a Sony JA333ES minidisc deck. I can copy my MD's to CD if I so desire. I'm not gonna transfer these right now, anyway. I'll be listening to these MD's while I jog and while I ride my mower about my mom's 3+ acre yard.

I have a good title for your disc, how 'bout: Sugar Sugar Substitute...?:)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I finished #8, REALLY COVERED:

1. Steve Marriott- Life During Wartime
2. Peter Frampton- Jumping Jack Flash (studio version)
3. Johnny Winter- No More Doggin'
4. Savoy Brown- Don't Turn Me From Your Door
5. ToriAmos- I'm Not In Love
6. Rickie Lee Jones- Trouble Man
7. Joan Jett- Time Has Come Today
8. Brian Auger & Julie Tippets- No Time To Live
9. White Animals- These Boots Are Made For Walking
10. New Riders Of The Purple Sage- I Don't Need No Doctor
11. Eric Clapton- Cocaine
12. Taj Mahal- Statesboro Blues
13. Marc Benno- Splish Splash
14. Bull Angus- Savoy Truffle
15. George Harrison- If Not For You
16. Bob Dylan- It Hurts Me Too
17. Jason And The Scorchers- 19th Nervous Breakdown
18. Rolling Stones- Love In Vain
19. Jim Capaldi- Anniversary Song

I put up alot of recordings without using them. I could easily churn out 3 or 4 more of these discs. I am going to make 1 more cover album but it's going to be kuntry & kuntry rock oriented. I just gotta make one with Dolly P's Stairway To Heaven!

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Rachael wrote:
I just have two versions of each song -- One version by the actual song writer and a "popular" version of each song. The one dilemma I had was which version of The Worst That Could Happen to include besides the Jimmy Webb version. The most popular version of this was done by the Brooklyn Bridge, but was done first, and IMO, better by The Fifth Dimension.

I have just completed this task with a Jimmy Webb, only CD. I took the songs from his great CD Ten Easy Pieces and burned his version of each song with another version. You should hear the difference between JW's version of Galveston and Glen Campbell's version. Jimmy Webb's version turns the song into a haunting ballad. I highly recommend this CD for anyone who is a Jimmy Webb fan.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
So you tripled up on the Leo Kottke covers, but you didn't use "World Turning", "Learning the Game", "I Still Miss Someone", or even "Twilight Time"? Interesting...

I'll go out on a limb here and recommend The Wild Colonials to you. Just judging by the artists you've compiled here they might be suited to your tastes. They produced an album of all of their songs performed for music soundtracks called Reel Life, Volume 1, and it contains a nice cover of "It's Not Unusual".

Brad

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Brad, I picked those Kottke tunes because, firstly, I like them alot and secondly because the originals were all hits. I'll take a look at the Wild Colonials, merci!:)

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Rachael, you had me until Michael Bolton...

If memory serves me right, Joe Jackson (see my sig) plays piano on that one. JJ has also done some amazing covers, from his entire swinging Jumpin' Jive album to live cuts of "For Your Love," "Memphis," "Mood Indigo," and "Eleanor Rigby." Actually, there's an all-female JJ tribute album in the works...

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Andrew, did one song ruin your day?! I like the original 10000 % better, but it was a cover set. BTW, I didn't pull any JJ records for these recordings. I only have 1 or 2. I didn't recall any covers on NIGHT AND DAY right off. My collection is so big that I'm always forgetting about something though! :)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I just heard for the first time Booker T & The MG's McLemore Avenue, ka-zowie! All the songs from The Insects ABBEY ROAD album dunn'ed in-strum-mentally down thar in Memphis. The song Something is the only free-standing song. The rest are put in one of 3 medleys. This is such an awesome album!:emoji_thumbsup: So many albums, so little time....

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Dome, I have that one on 7" 45 RPM vinyl. I was gonna use it but couldn't find it. When I moved last year they, the 45's, got out of alfabetical order. I couldn't find POISON IVY by the Stones either. I'll straighten them out some rainey day.

It's not exactly a true cover but it's so good that I was gonna make an exception.:)

I've taken some suggestions from the posters here and I got McLEMORE AVENUE by Booker T & the MG's & REEL LIFE by the Wild Colonials & King Curtis AT THE FILMORE WEST. Thanks!:)

I've almost finished the kuntry/kuntry rock disc I threatened....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks