What's new

Rach 3 (1 Viewer)

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Can anyone recommend a redbook CD of the Rach 3 with excellent sonics and a great performance? Cheers.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Volodos's recording is well-reviewed and IMHO is excellent sonically and musically. Otherwise, there's an older recording by Ashkenazy with Previn conducting. Recording is okay, but excellent performance.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Try looking into the Martha Argerich (the greatest living pianist, IMHO) recording with Kondrashin on Philips. An older recording, but it sounds superb and the performance is jaw-dropping. JH

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Correction: The recording I was referring to was conducted by Ricardo Chailly with the RSO Berlin (Kondrashin conducts Argerich in Tchaikovsky's First Piano Concerto, also on the CD, which is another terrific performance). JH

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
The Argerich is good (I'd inexplicably forgoten about it). However, with respect, I personally think Volodos's is better. Ultimately, however, it comes down to an 'apples or pears' argument - both are excellent, and both have their especial strengths. Which one prefers is a matter of personal choice. Certainly if I went to a record store and could only find something by Argerich I wouldn't grumble.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Kissin's live recording on RCA with the BSO conducting Seji Ozawa,is the best I've heard to date.The recording is superb,but the level is a bit low but you just turn it up a bit and that's it. Enjoy!

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Lewis. I heard a number of versions and I think that the Kissin recording is very, very good.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
FYI: the Volodos recording is also on SACD. The performance, the piece itself, and the sound quality make this one of my top 3 classic recordings that I own.

Rachmaninoff was supposed to be a great pianist himself. I wonder if there are any recordings of him playing his own music.

NP: Bach, Uncommon Bach, rare organ works, DTS CD

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
I wonder if there are any recordings of him playing his own music.
File this under kinda :
Telarc has a disc called "A Window in Time: Rachmaninoff performs his solo piano works" (CD-80489)
The way I understand it, they took piano rolls he created and played them in a Super High Tech (TM) player piano. The recording is quite good, actually. The disc is interesting at the very least.
Hope this helps.
edited for Silly Spelling (TM)

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Wish I had SACD, I'd love to hear the Volodos in that format. Jeff - nteresting info about the Telarc disc. Will have to check it out.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Jan - It is interesting. It sounds very much like a studio recording. Doesn't feel like a concert at all. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks