RABOS and Infinity Subwoofers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Josh Varghese, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Josh Varghese

Josh Varghese Stunt Coordinator

Just wondering if any Infinity Sub owners calibrated their sub using RABOS. Did you notice significant performance improvement. Do you think it is worth an extra $60 for my IL100S ?? Thanks

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    The RABOS system is actually a very cool feature –a built-in fully-parametric filter to eliminate an offending peak in your room’s response. I expect in most cases it will certainly give you an audible improvement easily worth the $60.

However, optimal equalization typically requires more than one filter, and a parametric equalizer does the best job of smoothing a sub’s full-range response. But when you figure the price of a budget parametric EQ like the Behringer Feedback Destroyer (about $120), a Radio Shack SPL meter (about $30) and a test disc (about $20) – you can see that $60 for the RABOS is a great deal for what you get.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I do not own Infinty speakers, but I did buy the RABOS kit because it is optimized for measuring bass response. Worth its weight in gold, IMHO. Even Tom Nusaine recommended it a while back in S&V.

FWIW, the best results I got in my room EQ'ing my sub was by using the RABOS meter, and running test tones from the Bass Mekanix 5.0 CD. Dead nuts stable readings, very easy to dial in the EQ.

Obviously, the manual is designed for use with a RABOS equipped sub, but there is no reason that the meter can not be used for general purpose measurements.

While I do not know the response of the meter (as you probably have read, the classic RS meter required corrections be applied to determine true SPL) I used it to EQ all my mains and the sub from 20 to 800 Hz. Very happy with the results.

BGL

5. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

It made a big difference with my IL60's in my old house and a HUGE difference in my current residence. Before setting up with RABOS, the massive response peak I had would 'fool' my SPL meter into having me set the LFE level much lower than it should have been. After running through the RABOS procedure, all was well again.

Here's a tip...when going through the test tones, just write down the readings on a sheet of paper from top to bottom, then plug those numbers into the RABOS calculator on Infinity's web site. This will save you from having to plot all the points on their graph and use the 'Q Finder' tool.

6. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Wayne's comment pretty much mimics my thoughts.

I had a dominant peak at 45hz that RABOS took care of w/my IL100 and IL120. I found the difference in sound quality very significant by reducing that one peak.

7. Josh Varghese

Josh Varghese Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys thanks for all the responses. Seems pretty overwhelmingly positive so looks like I'll be ordering a kit.

JohnnyG, special thanks for the tip I took a look at the site and that definitely seems even easier.