Rabies

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Keith_R, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Hey all, my household is going crazy over rabies today and I needed to share this and get opinions.Okay Here's the story, this morning right before I went to school my mother informed me that a dead raccoon was in our backyard and that she needed me to go pick it up and dispose of it. Well I went outside and found it and using a rake and one of those butler type things you use to pick up leaves was able to pick it up and get it to the side of the house. By this point it was time to go to school so I left it there. Animal Control came out a short while later and took it back with them, they than informed my mother that the "dead" raccoon was apparently alive, according to them when their personnel took it the thing apparently moved. I don't see how this is possible because when I had to deal with it I was pushing it around a lot trying to get it in a garbage bag but that's what they said. At any rate the major concern is that according to Animal Control they think it might have rabies. My dog (A golden retriever) is now quarintined to the house because he may have contracted the disease by sniffing around the "dead" animal. I'm concerned about my dog as well as myself now too because there are a number of ways I could have contracted the disease. I took great care to do the deed and washed my hands when I got done but somehow I just don't feel safe and I'm really scared that I may have contracted it as well as my dog. The animal control people said that the earliest they would know the results of their test is Friday but that it could take 2 weeks[​IMG] . 2 weeks is to much suspense for me and I don't like having my dog quarintined for 2 weeks. I'm scared, does anyone here have experience with this? can someone put me at ease?

2. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

http://www.animalhealthchannel.com/rabies/

I think you're probably fine. Unless the dead raccoon bit you or your dog.

There's a DVM floating around here in the HTF that might know a little more than I do, though...

Are your dog's rabies vaccinations up-to-date?

3. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

The rabies virus cant last more than a few seconds outside of the body. That is why it is most often transmitted by bodily fluids and dirty needles.. no wait, thats aids. Well, I suppose dirty needles would transmit rabies too.
    Don't do heroin with your dog. ever.

4. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

2 things.

Rabies shots are not what they used to be. The dreaded stomach shots are no longer used.

If your dog is suspect be SURE you have documentation from your vet that the dog has been vaccinated against rabies and that the immunizations are current. Having this information could save your dog's life. If you don't have the records get them immediately. The little tag most states require doesn't count as much as proper papers from the administering vet.

If animal control has the raccoon then you're in very good shape because the animal can be tested definitively for rabies. If the animal doesn't have it then no problem. If it does then you can be given immunizations. If your dog has already been immunized then she will be watched for symptoms. If she doesn't have vaccinations then she may be kept quarantined and if she shows any symptoms, will be destroyed. Some localities may require the dog to be destroyed as a precaution. This is why rabies immunization records are vital.

Call the vet and get the records. Even if the raccoon wasn't rabid the next one might be and there must be no question of the dog's immunization history.

Be sure animal control has sent the raccoon for rabies testing and that they have proper contact information for you. If the animal was rabid you must be notified immediately so you can get treatment right away. Rabies is just about 100% fatal. You can't screw with it.

5. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

First of all, I'd wait for the result of the medical tests and not worry about the hunch of an animal control officer. Second, I find it highly unlikely that your dog could have picked up rabies by "sniffing around." It isn't generally considered an airborne illness. Third, don't they require dogs to be vaccinated against rabies in your community? If not, let this incident be a lesson that you always need to make sure your dog's rabies vaccinations are kept up to date.

6. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    currently the Dog's rabies vaccines are all up to date so that isn't a concern.

7. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Rabies doesn't survive outside the body. Also, the skin provides an outstanding barrier for germs. Unless you had an open festering sore somewhere, it's probably a far-fetched idea that you'd contract the virus through saliva transmission.

8. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Not exactly the same, but there have been numerous cases of spelunkers acquiring ( and dying from) rabies from inhaled viral particles from Bat guano.

Due to the serious nature of rabies exposure, I cannot say more concerning your specific case. This is a matter to be decided by your local Department of Public Health, not Animal Control, not anyone else.

Best of luck for your dog and family.

Julian Reville, DVM

9. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Update: Believe it or not The Health department just called me and the raccoon did test positive for rabies. They told me the dog would be fine but he needs to be quarintined to the house for 45 days, bummer for him huh[​IMG] he can't even go walking[​IMG] . They were very concerned about me because I had direct contact with the animal but after questioning me they didn't seem concerned about me as much. I think everything will turn out okay but that was a very close call! thanks.

10. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    If the dog is fine, and his vaccinations are up to date, why does he need to be quarantined at all, let alone 45 days?

11. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    The 45 days thing does seem a little extreme to me too. The guy down at the health department said that my dog would start showing symptoms if he had it within the next 4-5 days so my opinion is that unless he shows symptoms within 5 days he is probably ok and could manage to be snuck out of the house at night when no one is out for his daily walk, which IMO he needs to keep him healthy. As far as me, we've called my docter to see if they want to do anything to me (such as vaccine me) but we haven't heard from them yet. The guy down at the health department told us to look over my arms and hands real good for any open wounds which may be a problem since I was in such close contact with the animal but we found nothing so I'm probably okay.

12. Chris Knox

Chris Knox Stunt Coordinator

Just for the archives...

There has never been a recorded case of a human contracting rabies from the bite of a human, ever.

13. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

I realize this is an old thread, but I figured it'd be better to use an existing one rather than start a new one.

Anyway, I was visiting my parents today, and I was walking around outside getting some fresh air. My mother told me awhile back that she had gotten some barn cats from a friend at work. While I was out there, one of them ran up to me meowing, so I figured she wanted back in the barn or something. I lured her over to the barn door to let her back in. As soon as she went in, my Basset Hound, Max, came running around the fence. I didn't even know he was outside, so he surprised me. The cat came back out of the barn at exactly the same time Max was running up, so I scooped the cat up so he wouldn't get her. She saw him though and wiggled her way out of my hand to run back into the barn. I looked my hand over afterwards and noticed a small scratch.

I went back to the house to ask my mother if the cats had rabies shots, and she said no. I was shocked, because every animal we've ever had has had their shots. She told me not to worry about it though, because the same cat had scratched her when she first got them a month or so back, and the cat has been behaving perfectly normal to boot. Still, being the avid worrier that I am, I'm not sure what to do. She wouldn't let me take the cat to get evaluated or anything, and she says I'll be fine.

Should I be worried, or am I overreacting?