What's new

Rabbets, flush mount and router bits (1 Viewer)

TimForman

Supporting Actor
As I begin to build more and different types of speakers I'm finding myself challenged trying to get the drivers flush mounted with the least amount of difficulty. I was looking at the 3" TB driver and decided that trying to recess that thing was too much trouble so I just front mounted it. How do you folks handle all the different sizes of rabbet cuts?

Cameron_Peck

Stunt Coordinator
You need a circle cutting jig and a router to be able to flush mount your drivers. You can make a circle cutting jig yourself but if you are going to be cutting many different sized holes it may be worth it to buy one. I purchased the Jasper model 400Here. It will allow your router to cut circles from 1” to 7.5” in 1/16” increments. IMHO, well worth the money. If you choose to make your own, there are plans all over the internet.

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
The answer is to forget the rabbet bits and use a straight bit with a circle jig. Cut the recess for the flush-mount before you cut the hole. Works great!

RG

TimForman

Supporting Actor
That's a much better solution. I started looking at rabbet bits hoping for an "adjustable" one or something. The thought of buying separate bits for each application seemed (and is) ridiculous. Thanks.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Tim,

You can getting rabbeting bits with different size bearings. I have one of those as well and it's great when the driver hole and recess end up being just right.

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
yeah i am getting one in my shipment from Rockler.com tomorrow, its does , 1/8", 3/16", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 7/16", and 1/2" by changing the berrings

Jacques C

Stunt Coordinator
I have done mine both ways, though the most flexible way is by doing the recess first with a circle cutting jig and then doing the final circle cut. If you have a rabbet bit that happens to have the right width to it then that works easier.

My super duper circle jig (hardboard with a wire brad as the pivot) worked great through eight speakers, all flush mounted.

Take care.

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
yeah you only need to be concerned about using bits in your hand held router when they get up into the 1 3/4 diameter and have no bearing.

Dennis XYZ

Stunt Coordinator
John Janowitz mentioned the CMT Grand Rabbet in the veneer thread. It looks sweet. You get a bit and 17 collars to do cuts from 1/16" to 3/4" in 1/64" increments.

CMT Grand Rabbet

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
spend more money to save more :D

if i ever get really serious about DIY, more into designing my own stuff then i might look into it. but seeing that i am currently working on my first mains i don't think i need a rabbit in 1/64 inc :D

Dennis XYZ

Stunt Coordinator
Routers are like razors. They practically give the razor away and then sock it to you on the blades. :laugh:

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Funny, I didn't get the feeling I was getting something for nothing when I plunked down 200 clams for that P.C. router.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks