R4 punters return P&S Harry Potter

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by stephen abbot, Jun 4, 2002.

1. stephen abbot

I found this article in the Australian Daily Telegraph interesting. http://entertainment.news.com.au/com...55Enbv,00.html
    Shows that most of us down here don't want pan and scanned films on our DVD's!
    HEAR THAT $2WARNERS!!!!!
    Regards
    Stephen
    Admins, if you feel this should be in the Regional area then change it, however I felt this would be of wider interest

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Wish we'd see a story like that here

3. ChristianW

ChristianW Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, now were talkin'

I didn't even bother looking at it, and was planning on getting the R1 version down the track. I may just wait for the WS version in November. I'm in no rush, although it was a pretty cool movie, it's something I can wait to own.

Later
    Christian

4. Adrian_P

Adrian_P Stunt Coordinator

Great little article. Finally someone realising that all that R4 customers are getting is the Full Frame release. I had to import the R2 (Widescreen) version. Which worked out well cause I had it two weeks early!

5. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

Great news.
    It seems to be reeeally bad in Australia, since the P&S version apparently offers only a third of the original widescreen frame. [​IMG]

6. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

It's a Super 35 movie. The P&S offers additional image content above and beneath the 2.35:1 framing with some (greater or lesser) loss at the sides. That is, unless the Oz P&S differs from the Stateside one, in which case you can forget what I just said...

7. Angsty

Angsty Stunt Coordinator

The other interesting sentence in that story is that a widescreen version is rumoured for the end of the year.
    The article also speculates if this whole P&S only now, WS 6 months later strategy is $2Warner's attempt to workaround a Federal Court order stopping them from having differential pricing for rental/sell-through releases....
    Either way, $2Warner have successfully developed the mid-set in me that "Warner=BAD", so I won't be buying any version of Harry Potter any time soon [​IMG]
    Angela