What's new

R4 Conan the Destroyer faults? (1 Viewer)

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I don't know if anyone's mentioned this on another thread, but there are a few dodgy aspects of the R4 Conan the Destroyer:SE DVD. The most glaring one is that the print used is missing the 'But that is another story...' text at the end of the movie, with NO player-generated substitute like other R2/R4 MGM titles. Most displeasing.
The second, even more jarring error has the music for the movie piped exclusively through the front right channel (instead of spreading it around the front speakers, for example) for the entire movie! You hear dialogue as normal, through the centre, and you get sound effects as normal through the left and right fronts, but no score comes through either the centre or the left front. If this is intentional, then please set me straight, I'll respect the film-makers intent. But it's BLOODY annoying all the same! :angry:

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I have both region 2 and 4 of conan the destroyer se.. they both do not have the end title of that was another story. I don;t know why they dropped that part out on the disc..
about the other part. did you check your sound system settings?

I get most of the stuff from the main speaker. I hear stuff from on the side on some stuff. like when horses ride up on the left and right.

JACOB

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
After listening to it again the mix still sounds very off to me. Maybe not as extreme as I put in my post (oops) but instead of sounding like a smooth 5.1 mix it sounds like a badly done surround matrix. Because my room is the size of a matchbox I have to sit off-axis to my front pair. And as soon as I move off-axis the Conan soundfield collapses, with the mix biased towards the front right - and this is with a 3db gain on my left front!
There seems to be phase information for the score in this 5.1 mix that should not be there and it's really pissing me off. It makes the score sound as if it's coming from the centre (as Jacob has described) when on-axis but as soon as I sit off-axis the score simply comes from the speaker that's closest to me, my front right.
Even with properly matrixed surround material (from LD, DVD, VHS) let alone 5.1 this has never happened to me before. And after the disappointment of the Robocop:SE 5.1 track I really am dreading each new remix on MGM back catalogue stuff. I hope and pray The Fog gets a decent one.
And my set up's fine, btw. Example : The other night I watched my LD of Apocalypse Now (in surround) and the sound steering was phenomenal with some frighteningly deep bass - and this was 10db below my reference level! My region 1 Innerspace (in 5.1) also played fine, with plenty of bass and decent steering across the fronts. And after working around DVD players and surround equipment for the last four and-a-half years I know how my stuff should sound - and Conan the Destroyer simply doesn't sound right to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks