What's new

R3 questions (Phantom of the Opera) (1 Viewer)

Mike Huey

Grip
Hi,
I have a couple of questions regarding R3 releases from South Korea. How is the quality compared to US releases? Also, are there burnt in subtitles or anything like that? Any annoyances I might want to know about?

I'm looking to purchase the R3 Phantom of the Opera (2004) because it has DTS and much nicer packaging compared to the US/UK release. What do you guys think? It is said to be released courtesy of I Vision and Warner Brothers.

To look at specs, go to dvdanswers.com and search for phantom of the opera.

Do you guys think it is worth it for possibly better audio quality with DTS ? Any opinions or testimonials on similar releases would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!~
Michael

Howard S

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

I'm just considering exactly the same thing, and came here hoping to find the answers.

In my case, although the R2 PAL version has DTS (which in a side-by-side comparison sounded better than the DD encoded soundtrack), the soundtrack had been pitch corrected, which created (to my ears) unacceptable side-effects.

I'm hoping that the R3 version, being NTSC, will give me the best of both worlds.

Did you buy this DVD, and if so, did you encounter any issues/disappointments?

Howard.

Bryce Miner

Stunt Coordinator
I received my R3 hong kong version yesterday. It has a DTS 96/24 track on it. The packaging isn't as nice as the korean release, but the 96/24 support makes up for it. Subtitles are defaulted to off. Plus more features on the 2nd disc then the R1 release. This is my new reference disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks