R3 City Of God Problems ?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Anthony Neilson, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    Anyone else having any trouble with the R3 DTS City Of God disc ? I've tried it in two machines ; the Pioneer spat it out and the Panasonic mostly refuses to load it. It played it a couple of times but jammed up after Chapter 7. It doesn't give me a wrong region message either, instead saying "this TYPE of disc can't be played".
    Neither machine has ever refused to play a disc before, so I'm wondering if this is just a problem with the disc.

Anyone help ? [​IMG]

2. RobD

RobD Second Unit

You probably have a faulty disk, return it. My Pioneer DV-717 had no problems with that disk at all.

3. Werner Heimmer

Where did you buy the disc?

Played fine on my Toshiba 330.

Sounds like a disc fault. The disc is definitely Region 3 because I checked (many many Region 3 discs are actually all region/region 0).

4. Marty Lockstead

Marty Lockstead Second Unit

Has anyone heard about a possible relase date for R1? If there are no future dates for here, I may have to bite the bullet and go for the R3 version. Regardless, how does the R3 look and sound? Are there any features?

5. Werner Heimmer

The Region 3 has an excellent anamorphic transfer and the option for dts sound. No extras.

There is a NTSC Brazil Region 4 2-disc version available with lots of extras.

6. Jerry Gerber

Jerry Gerber Extra

My copy arrived yesterday from the UK...neither my Malata nor my Sony would play the disc...errors recorded on both machines. I assume it's a faulty disc....but there are liable to be more than just a couple out there....if this thread continues, I may opt for the Brazilian release...they should do it justice.

7. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    Jerry - is that the R2 version or the R3 version ? And where did you get it from ?
    I'm waiting for my replacement and hoping it was a one-off, because the PQ and sound were excellent ; and, at £7.99, a nice stop-over in case the R1 version is better.

8. Jerry Gerber

Jerry Gerber Extra

Anthony...I bought it at CDWOW....It is the R3 version...I believe I paid what you paid...and I beginning to doubt whether there's a good one in the pile...to be continued

9. RobD

RobD Second Unit

Mine came from CD-Wow, it works fine. I got mine a few weeks back though.

10. Sergio Martorel

Sergio Martorel Second Unit

11. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    I just got a replacement from CDWOW and it wouldn't play either.

HOWEVER - in the interim, I tried the original disc in a friend's Budget-Price player and it loaded and played fine. Doh ! [​IMG]

Does anyone have any idea how two fairly top line players can just not accept an R3 disc while a cheaper one plays it fine ? I know an expensive DVD isn't necessarily a good one, but there really is no disparity of quality. So might it be something to do with the way a player is modified for multi-region ? Help ! [​IMG]

12. Sergio Martorel

13. RobD

RobD Second Unit

Sergio,

Do you think the this disc is an R3 "Smart Disc" like the R1 Columbias? Because my player has to play an R1 first to make the Columbias work, doesnt have to play an R3 to make this disc work though and so I dont think thats the problem.

14. Sergio Martorel

15. Simon Basso

Simon Basso Stunt Coordinator

I think this has nothing to do with "smart" discs or region coding etc., but simply bad manufacturing of an R3 title. Seems to be quite a common occurrence, recent pressings of Raimi's "The Gift" and the HK horror "Inner Senses" have been similarly blighted.

16. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    Thanks for the tip Sergio. The disc DOES actually load approximately 2 out of every five tries and that method does seem to help.
    What's impossible is getting the player to read the disc's second layer. The picture jams, those scary kind-of shearing noises come from the machine, and it becomes difficult to UNload the disc.
    Yet this other player had no problem with it.

Mystifying and annoying ; it means that I can never be sure whether an R3 disc will play. BTW my copy of DARK WATER plays fine.

17. Sergio Martorel

Weird. Why don´t you order the 2-disc set from Brazil? I can find it for you and trade it for one of them LOVELY Hong Kong Legends titles that you have in England!

18. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    Sergio - I was actually just buying the R3 as a stop-gap.
    It's out on R2 but I know Weinstein's pretty big on the film and Miramax might release a good R1 somewhere down the line. The R3 was cheap and has DTS and good PQ - the Brazil edition being non-anamorphic is a bit of a deal-breaker for me.

But what's your problem with HK Legends ? Can't you import them ? It's not a label I've much experience of but I'm sure I could help you out.

19. Sergio Martorel