What's new

R2 Superbits on R1 Region-Free Players (1 Viewer)

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
A while ago, BensonsWorld UK had a sale on R2 PAL Superbit titles. I picked up a couple. I have a Malata 996 Region-Free player.

One of the titles I picked up was Hollow Man. When I compared it with my R1 Special Edition, I really did not notice any appreciable difference in picture quality. On my 53" calibrated Pioneer 533 set, I have been able to see improvements on my R1 Superbits over the original releases.

My question is this - does the PAL to NTSC conversion cancel out the subtle improvements of a Superbit title? Is the NTSC Hollow Man Superbit appreciably better than the original release?

Its worth noting that right now CD Wow has a number of R3 Superbits at low prices. They are NTSC. I wonder if they are the same as their R1 equivalents?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The R3s are probably EXACTLY the same discs

As far as the R2 PAL, the conversion may have something to do with it, but frankly it's probable that it's just another case of minimal gains on the SUperbit ver

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else have any experience with other-region Superbits? Some of them (The Fast and the Furious, Gladiator) have pretty impressive transfers on their R1 releases already. It would be interesting to get a disc-to-disc comparison with bitrates and screenshots (Gary Tooze?).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks