R2 releases "ABBA In Concert"...any reviews?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by EricSchulz, Mar 6, 2004.

1. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I have been trying to find ANY live ABBA footage and it's very hard. Their website states that this was released in Feb. '04. Anyone seen it to give an opinion?

2. andrew markworthy

I got this from http://www.dvdconcept.com/?page=shop...oduct_id=45856

SYNOPSIS:

Due for release 29th March, in glorious 5.1.

I think this is basically the same product as the VHS tape, albeit with remixed sound and a few extras. It's a good while since I've watched the tape, but I seem to recall that there are all the usual backstage shots, etc, coupled with some film of concert performances. I don't think you get the entire performances of all the songs (at least that's my memory of it; I'm very happy to be corrected).

Hope this is of use.

3. andrew markworthy

Well, I took delivery of this disc a couple of days ago. Yes, it's basically the VHS tape that's been available for years. There are a couple of extra songs that weren't included in all regional releases of the VHS version, plus a never-before-released version of Thank You For the Music which is wonderful.

Sound is good (though IMHO the optional 5.1 mix is a case of 'why did they bother?') and the picture as good as can be expected, and certainly head and shoulders above the VHS version. However, the film is still short (just about an hour), and some of the concert performances aren't complete (they either cut out or the music carries on whilst the visuals cut to backstage shots with people talking). One for Abba fans, but I'd be cautious about recommending it to a casual buyer - to the latter, I'd recommend going for the Abba video hits package instead.

4. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    Now if we could just get ABBA:The Movie, in widescreen of course.

5. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Thanks for the info, Andrew! I'll be tracking this one down!

6. Deb Walsh

Deb Walsh Stunt Coordinator

ABBA in Concert was shown on television in the US as an episode of Soundstage on PBS back in the early '80s. It's a pity more of the concert tour didn't make it into the program - I saw the Boston performance, and more than 20 years later, it's still vividly burned into my brain.

I don't think there's a lot of live footage of ABBA because they didn't tour as much as other bands of the time, and they did a lot of what we've come to know as music videos. I remember being very excited about an appearance they were making on some late night music show in 1978, only to find the ABBA footage shown was the music videos for Take a Chance and another show.

I'd love to see their Saturday Night Live performance again, though. And it would be great if the Olivia Newton John special with ABBA could be released on DVD, any region. :>

7. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Well, I am ordering this one tonight, along with Agnetha's new CD. I'll post a review when I get it.